Thursday, May 21, 2009

#1 in a #2 Job

I spent yesterday morning with a man who completely knows his shit: Pedro from Smith's Septic Systems.

At our first house, we had major septic tank issues, and constant back ups, so I became very sensitive to proper septic system maintainance. I met Mr. Smith, owner of the company, when our Hurricane Andrew destroyed home was re built. I've been a loyal customer ever since.

Mr. Smith installed a good number of the septic tanks now in use in Kendall and Pinecrest. Pedro is his main woker --I met him 2 years ago at our every 2 year cleanout.

Pedro has heard every joke that goes along with his line of work. His favorite is "A shitty day is a great day at Smith's."

I met Pedro in my back yard, when he loudly tooted (ha!) the horn on his pump truck. He vaulted the stone wall, since it's easier to access our tank from behind the house (ha again). He remembered where the access was, and quickly dug up the soil around the top. Roaches fled in every direction. He said he sees them at every job, but never sees rats. I guess they stick to the sewers.

As Pedro pumped, we chatted. He came from Cuba in 1980, as a Marielito. His job is a great one --the pay is good, and he's raised a family nicely on his income. He pointed to my belly, and said "Mr. Dave --you've put on a few in 2 years." I told him he was right. He pointed at his own nice sized tool shed. "With me, it's the beer. I LOVE beer. But I only drink at night and weekends. Never on the job. A DUI in my truck would be bad, and I wouldn't want to fall in one of the holes!!!!"

He gets satisfaction from his labors. "You can have a $10 million dollar house, and if the toilets don't flush, it's worthless. Even the very rich need me!"

We chatted about the Dolphins, and then I agreed to have him install a manhole cover instead of the concrete plug. I asked him if I needed the clean outs each 2 years instead of less frequently, and he pointed in the tank at our prodigious production. "No --2 years is good for this house." He didn't say it, but was probably thinking that we're full of ...

I went inside to get ready for work, and brought Wifey to the upstairs window to show her Pedro's work. She feigned interest. Most women, if the toilet flushes, have no interest in the reasons why plumbing operates.

Women often care less about shit than men do.

No comments: