Monday, May 19, 2008

Yellow Bird

I've not been into cars since high school, when they were of importance second only to girls. But then, in 2002, Ford came out witha retro looking Thunderbird, and I was overtaken by illogic, fantasy, and longing. I wanted one of those convertibles.

We had just settled a few big cases, and I decided to treat myself. I went to a dealer, thinking I'd pay about $35k for the $40k sticker priced car, and was told that there was a MARKUP of close to $10k, since the new cars were in demand. Well, every fantasy has its limit, so I went home, carless.

Sure enough, near the end of the model year, they started to discount the T Birds --to about the level I wanted. One evening, near Memorial Day of 2003, Wifey and I were driving past a local Ford dealership, and a bright yellow T Bird was sitting on the lot. "Go buy it," she said. "You do so much for others --treat yourself once in awhile." We went inside, and I followed her advice, and drove the car off the lot.

When I got home, D1 quickly approved of the purchase, for the wrong reason. "Wow, Dad --it looks like a Barbie car!" D2 walked around it and said, in a crescendo, "It's so Yell-ow!" So much for impressing the chicks.

Over the past 5 years, I have had some fun in the car. I've taken it to Key West a few times, and over to Naples on a gorgeous morning, doing 80 mph over Alligator Alley. Last January, I drove it up to Dolphin stadium to buy my new Hurricane tickets, and as an old Allman Brothers song came on while I was on the Turnpike, I had a moment...

Well, in the same way I impetuously decided to buy the car, I've decided to sell it, at the 5 year mark. Wifey's back won't let her go with me anywhere in the car, and I srarted adding up the costs of maintainance and insurance against the time I actually drive the car.

I placed an ad on the internet --it seems the car should sell for about $23-$24K, although the mileage on it (9500) is the lowest of any of the '02 models for sale.

I haven't sold a car, as opposed to trading in, since the LAST car I had an emotional connection to --my 1978 Firebird --which my parents bought me. I had many more memories in that car, which goes along, I guess, with owning a car from age 18 through 25, as opposed to age 42-47.

The Firebird was banged up pretty bad in a wreck in North Miami, as I was returning from a visit to Wifey's apartment. The car never ran the same after it was fixed, and I sold it to a redneck, grease monkey type fellow who was going to use it, essentially, for parts.

So, we'll see the fate of the yellow bird. The Buddhists are right --our possessions own us more than the other way around, and it feels liberating to have few of them. The best part of owning the '02 Ford is the memories.

No comments: