Monday, May 5, 2008

Politics in Polite Company

So last night Wifey and I went to a dinner party with 2 other couples, probably 4 of the most politically liberal folks I know. The other 2 wives met at a church in Coconut Grove that's famous for performing "commitment ceremonies." Much wine was drunk last night.

It was clear that the other 4 folks were IN LOVE with Obama. They were disenchanted with Hillary, apparently because she was too ruthless in her quest for the nomination. They feel Obama still has plenty of ruth, apparently.

I listened politely for most of the night, offering the occasional anecdote, but I guess not professing my love for B. Hussein Obama. Finally, one of the other wives pressed me: "So who's YOUR choice, David???!!!"

I told her my first choice was Hillary, but that I might well vote for McCain over Obama, if it came to that. The evening got much more passionate after that, as these evangelical liberals thought it their duty to bring an apostate back to the church.

I guess my politics HAVE changed as I've aged. I felt the way the 4 others did when I was in college "Blacks have been so traumatized by slavery, we MUST never blame them for any of their problems...criminals are a symptom of a failing society, etc..."

I no longer buy it. When one of the other men told me he admired Jimmy Carter, and that the only way to try for peace in the Middle East was to negotiate with Hamas, a known terrorist group, as Carter has been doing, they all lost me.

In law school, I'd always debate my friend Mike, a man who thought Reagan was the finest president in modern times. Over the years, I came to understand Mike was probably more Libertarian than anything else. I think I am, too.

Anyway --it was an entertaining night. My neighbors, who live in a $2M house and spend a lot more on expensive tchtokes than they contribute to the ACLU or NAACP, I'm sure, think if McCain is elected, they have to leave the US. Right. I'll believe it when the for sale sign goes up.

The other woman began to cry when she talked of how awful our nation has become, and what's in store if the Democrats don't win in November. Hmmm...somehow I don't think I'll be getting any postcards from Canada from them, either.

Next time we're all together, I think I'll steer the conversation to religion...

1 comment:

Monica said...

hillary '08 wooo!! can we move to france??