Monday, May 26, 2008

Family Celebration

I just returned from the City by the Bay, where I attended my nephew's college graduation. It took him 5 years, but he made it through with a B average. My Florida sister and brother and law flew out to SF, and we met the graduate's mother and brother at the airport.

I love San Francisco. We took a cable car from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf, and the architecture and vistas always blow me away. Speaking of blowing away, each time you turn a corner, the wind drops the temperature 20 degrees. I guess that's part of the charm.

We went to dinner at Morton's, joined by the graduate's uncle from his father's side, and his wife. Some guys figure out life. As far as I can tell, Michael has never been gainfully employed, but he has an 18 year younger wife who works as a research scientist and supports him. Each time I was in Michael's presence, I heard Dire Strait's "Money for Nothing" in my head. Power to this guy --a good gig if you can get it.

The graduation ceremony was Saturday, and it was cold and rainy. We attended only my nephew's Departmental graduation, held on a nearby high school football field. The faculty, which seemed overwhelmingly gay (it IS San Francisco State), shared their wisdom. My favorite was a professor who said that a college degree was worth more than $1M in future earnings versus a non college grad. "More importantly," she said, "becoming a college graduate will prevent you from becoming a guest on the Jerry Springer Show."

Saturday night my new hero Michael and his patroness wife went on their way, and we had some delicious pizza at Uncle Vic's. We laughed and told tales of family yore. It was delightful.

The graduate and his girlfriend left, and the next day my sisters, brother in law, and non graduating nephew drove to Monterrey. We walked by the bay there, and listened to the sea lions barking. I could have spent the whole afternoon with them, in the cool breeze, along with the occasional otter floating by. Instead, we had lunch at a chowder house, and then left on the PCH, through Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay.

I've driven on the PCH probably 10 times, and it's always breathtakingly gorgeous. We stopped at an overlook and my sisters and I spoke to our father's spirit. I told him about his yeoman-like grandson, and asked him to watch over all of his grandchildren and great grandchildren.

The sisters and brother in law dropped me at SFO, and I read 2 newspapers in the Admiral's Club. I boarded the red eye, slept most of the way, and was joyously greeted at 530 by D1, who had retired early the night before so she could welcome me home. John Denver's "Home Again" played in my head.

D1 and I traded stories of the weekend. If we're blessed and lucky, 2 years from now SHE'LL be the latest Bachelor winner in the family. How grand that will be.

1 comment:

susanhopkins said...

It was, truly, a family celebration.
Seeing the boy transform into a man is the pen-ultimate.
As to Hnry, he was on track from his youngest years, and except for when he was "apprehended" for skating on the rooftop at the junior high, that one never gave me one moment of angst.
I am blessed- it's all gravy now.