Thursday, May 1, 2008

Scent of the Morning

I've often read that the sense of smell is out most primitive, and therefore most compelling when it comes to memory.

This morning, as I walked though the neighborhood, I smelled the unmistakeable essence of mellaleuca, a tree from Australia. Mellaleuca was brought to South Florida to help drain the Everglades, because of its unmatched thirst. Over the last 20 years, ecologists realized that wasn't such a great idea, and set about destroying the trees. Most seem to be gone from Dade, although I always see huge stands of them along I-75 in Broward. I guess one or two escaped the ax around here.

At dawn and dusk, the things smell like --mashed potatoes! Of all things.

The scent brought me back to the Spring of 1980, when my Dad came to visit me at the U Miami campus. We took a long walk around, and the smell was everywhere. We kept looking for a restuarant or cafeteria, but none were around. My Dad, a meat and potatoes guy if ever there was one, got very hungry, and I recall us going to the Rathskellar for a couple of hamburgers with fries (they didn't have mashed potatoes). He left for home, with both of us puzzled by that mashed potato smell.

A few days later, I was walking around with one of my roommates, a prodigious pot smoker from Ohio, and also a Botany major. "Dude --smell the mellaleuca?" The mystery was solved --the scent came from a tree.

That night I called my Dad, and he was fascinated. "What a place we live in --the trees smell like mashed potatoes --with butter! Can you eat them?" I didn't know.

So, I thank that maverick tree or trees this morning. They brought me back to a nice place and time.

1 comment:

Cici said...

I LOVE these little bits of Grandpa.

Even though I am only one of 3 grandchildren that KNEW him, I never really *knew* him. I was far too young to appreciate him.

My only REAL memory of him is being yelled at,because I touched the jar of Damp-Rid in the closet.

I wish I had memories and stories to tell of him, so when I read yours, they always make me happy and sad at the same time.

Anytime you want to talk more about him, I am ready to listen