Saturday, May 3, 2008

Truly the Boss

Last night I went to see Bruce and the E Street Band up in Sunrise. I drove to the Sawgrass Mall, and met Ken , Joelle, and Megan, another FIU Law professor. We ate a fine dinner at Legal Seafood, with 2 martinis each, and then had another vodka at the arena. It was a great mood setter.

I've loved Springsteen since I was 14, and "Born to Run" came out. So much has been written about him , his band, and his music, but to me he's the best American poet there is. No one turns a phrase like he does, or captures a time and place in words and music.

I sat down in the arena, and recognized the two ladies next to me, but couldn't remember who they were. I launched into a blarney tale that I had "an unforgettable night in 1980" with one, and I was devastated that she didn't remember me. Turns out she was D1's teacher, and probably a lesbian, so my joke must have gone over like a lead balloon. Still, we all had a real good time.

The show was grand. The Boss played for 3 hours, including a lot of the "deep tracks" from old albums I used to play sitting on the floor of my room and later campus dorm. I sang to all the lyrics. One of my favorites is from "Badlands," which has proven true to me as I go through life: "Poor man wants to be rich, rich man wants to be king --the king ain't satisfied until he rules everything..."


I walked back to the mall, and went to a Cheesecake Factory where I had a large soda to rehydrate for the drive home. As I made my way down the highway, I remnisced about growing up with Springsteen as my sound track (he played "Growing Up," by the way --"when they said sit --I stood up.").

Overall --a grand Friday.

Today was a lazy day --D1 went to the beach with a Gator pal, D2 and I each took long naps, and Wifey puttered around prodigiously.

Life goes on, and Springsteen's music plays in my head. To me --that's high praise.

No comments: