Saturday, May 17, 2008

Doctor Perspective

We all try (or at least I do) to live by the credo of being thankful for all we have, and "keeping things in perspective." It's easier said than done, as we get upset over the small things in life.

Last week I vented to Dr. Barry about several annoyances, both in business and at home. As I write this, I don't even remember what they were --probably my law partner's annoyances, or something Wifey said or did.

Dr. Barry's been on service in the pediatric ICU this week. I asked him what he's been doing. His reply: "Withdrew life support for a 3 month old. Mom was at bedside, holding him as he died, wailing uncontrollably. The baby died at 1805 (6:05 pm)."

I guess we need these doses of reality, as the cliche goes, to remind us that the problems we have don't amount to a hill of beans...

So, on the bright side of life --I'm off Monday am for Baltimore, where I will meet for an hour with a fire safety expert, before returning to Inner Harbor for some crab cakes and beer. A goodly amount of beer. Then home Tuesday after my deposition, to push paper around Wednesday and Thursday, before taking flight again Friday am, this time for SF.

I'm going to have a fine dinner to celebrate my nephew Henry's graduation from SF State. Several martinis at Morton's Steakhouse, waiting to be poured, already have my nephew's, 2 sisters', and brother in law's names on them. I can hear their faint call...no wait --that's the sound of the gay couples celebrating their right to marry...Whatever! A celebration's a celebration!

Open up that Golden Gate!

1 comment:

TrudySewist said...

I may pass on the Martini and go for a Cosmo on the rocks. Remember what you did to me at the Plaza with a Cosmo? I didn't feel my feet for two days.

Love ya,

T