Thursday, February 7, 2008

Trip to NYC

So I flew up to Laguardia on JetBlue Tuesday, a lovely and uneventful trip. I taxied to Midtown, checked into the Affinia across from MAdison Square Garden, and went to a meeting to close out an old case involving a one eyed Russian boy who lives there. Mission accomplished.

I went to a bar and grill on 7th Avenue which was filled with Giants fans coming from the ticker tape parade Downtown. It was a jovial atmosphere. I ate a great tuna melt and watched replays of the parade on TV. When I paid my bill with my Dolphins credit card, the guy at the next table said "Hey --youse owes us for keeping you da only perfects!" It was classic NY linguistics.

I went back to the hotel, and took a fine, noisy (is NY ever quiet?) nap. I read the Times, and then it was off to dinner. The concierge told me about a pretty new steak place on 6th Avenue and 34th, which had a bunch of Rangers fans coming from the nearby Garden. I had a martini, ate a filet, and drank in the atmosphere.

Wednesday after walking around the Fashion District for a few hours, checking out some neat bookstores, I went back to the hotel. Turns out the Westminster KEnnel Club show was starting at the Garden, and the hotel lobby was filled with some really cool dogs. I met an enormous brown Newfoundland, who I initially mistook for a bear rug on the lobby floor. I wished him luck. He drooled.

Back to Laguardia, and then aboard the return flight. As I was in my seat waiting for boarding to end, I felt a bump. The pilot, an amiable fellow named Dan, came into the main cabin and told us the NY Port Authority worker just crashed the jetway into the aircraft's door, and our Airbus was no longer airworthy. We all deplaned through another door, and they bussed us to JFK for a replacement flight.

I met a fellow Gator Dad (he had the T shirt) and the time passed quickly. I arrived at FLL at 1245 am. Yawn.

NY IS the world's greatest city, in my humble opinion. IT's greatest to me in small doses.

No comments: