Thursday, February 14, 2008

Rock on, dude!

Among my curmudgeonly traits, I've stopped going to concerts, with rare exeption. I still enjoy an outdoor show in a nice setting, or a singer in a small concert hall (Bruce Springsteen in the 3000 seat Sunrise Music Theatre about 8 years ago was a grand show). I just don't like the crowds, or the noise.

Still, last month Mike called, and told me he bought 4 good seats for us to take our 16 year old daughters to see Van Halen. He was so excited about this show, and his daughter, who is a favorite of mine, had never been to a concert. I didn't have the heart to turn him down, so D2 and I agreed to go.

I never much liked Van Halen when they were making hit records, despite how huge they were commercially. I like SOME heavy metal (AC/DC), but never got into Van Halen.

Mike's daughter, D2 , and I took MEtro Rail to Mike's office. From there, Mike drove, while the girls worked on an AP European History power point presentation. I told Mike that when I was 16, I'd have sooner gone to Mars than see a rock concert with my parents. Times have changed.

Van Halen was LOUD --riduculously loud, to the point that it was hard to make out lyrics or even melodies. The arena was packed, with what Mike's daughter remarked was " a lot of trucker types." Many wore long hair, like Wayne and Garth, so I kept exhorting the girls to "party on!"

A group of women sat behind us. During a break, one was pointing to a couple "Check out the lesbians!" I turned around and told her solemnly that I was there with MY gay partner, and that we were offended when people made a big deal out of gay couples. The woman looked horrified, and started to apologize, but then I told her I was kidding --Mike and I were parents and not partners. The woman laughed, and I had thoroughly embarrassed Mike's girl and D2. Mission acccomplished.

Van Halen played, energetically, for over 2 hours. Eddie and David Lee Roth looked fit and sinewy. The bass player was Eddie's 16 year old son, who was rather zaftig, and looked more over the hill than his father, Roth, and uncle Alex, the drummer.

We had some laughs, and D2 and Mike's daughter had a great time. For me, though, it may well be the last arena show. Mike was excited about Tom Petty. No thanks, I told him, I've seen Petty 4 times, the last in the 80s. These days I prefer listening to his CD in my car.

Party on, Dave, indeed.

No comments: