Friday, February 1, 2008

Sweet 16

Chris Rock said that while they don't give out grades for being a daddy, if your daughter works in a strip club, you basically get an "F." Of all the wonderful things in my life, being a father is by far the most fulfilling. And, so far, no stripper poles...

I've made is clear to D 1 and D2 that one thing is paramount to me: that they be best friends with each other. I believe strongly that blood is blood, and that bond is the strongest there is. Friends and boyfriends can come and go, but I insist that my girls be there for each other.

Mission accomplished. D2 is turning 16 this Sunday, and D1 was willing to drive 5 hours, alone, each way just to be there for D2's birthday. I found out from a yenta mother about D1's surprise, and booked her a seat on a commuter flight instead. D2 was with Wifey at a charity event this afternoon, and D1 walked in and gave her a hug. We were all misty eyed.

Our cups runneth over with our girls. They're both great students, and associate themselves with fine friends. D2 hasn't had a boyfriend yet, and D1's 2 selections were both MIT students. So far, every daughters' fathers' fear of his girl going for a loser isn't materializing.

Still, all of that takes a back seat to the love they share for each other. They have different personalities, and they fight over silly things, but their bond is very strong.

And that makes me one very, very lucky Daddy.

No comments: