Friday, February 8, 2008

Not The Fun Part

So, I brought home a cold from NYC and decided to stay in yesterday and today. D2 just came home from school, and left, DRIVING! She's been learning for a full year, passed Driver's Ed, and even had 3 hours of private lessons with Wilmon, the fellow all of us in Pinecrest use --and he reports she's ready. Still...

I inherited my father's habit of excessive worrying. On top of that, I make my living representing people who die or get maimed in all variety of awful car crashes. D1 has been driving for over 3 years, and I still worry about her, but the first year on the road is the worst!

So --should I have enforced a rule some of the other folks have: no friends in the car for the first 6 months? Then what --all of a sudden the now 16.5 year old is distraction proof? I don't know...

I bought her a safe, small car --a Volvo S 40, loaded with airbags. D2 knows she's subject to a zero tolerance for mistakes policy: ANY moving violations or accidents --she's out of the car for a full year. Wifey's best friend's girl --a delightful young lady, got ticketed at age 17 for driving 90 on a highway! The girl is 21 now, and survived her motorless grounding.

So, I guess now I wish I were a religious man --I'd pray. Are there any atheists among fathers of new drivers?

I wish D2 luck, and FOCUS, and wisdom.

I wish for myself the ability to sleep, and survive these next few years...

No comments: