Saturday, February 2, 2008

Stuff

My firm settled a nice sized case last week, and I celebrated the way I usually do: I went out and bought myself a little something. It came in the mail yesterday, and I showed it to wifey. "Look sweetie --I bought myself a new Rolex --best one they sell. No, I mean it's the title to a new Lambourghini." Wifey just smirked. She knew me.

It was the confirmation of a tax free municipal bond, a vanilla investment that pays 5% per year and comes due in 2035 --quite possibly after I come due! This is the type of large purchase I tend to make.

I have friends who love expensive toys. One fellow, not a wealthy guy, has a $50,000 dollar collection of motorcycles, that his wife thinks is worth less than 1/2 that. Another guy I know who has made a lot of money HAS bought over $1/2M worth of cars --including a Lambourghini. One of my office roommates buys $5,000 suits, and has a watch collection worth nearly $1M.

I don't know --I never was much into stuff. My sister says I collect people instead.

By 1992 Wifey and I were starting to make some money, and we bought a nice house, and filled it with some nice furniture. Hurricane Andrew came along and literally blew it away, like the big, bad wolf. I took it as a sign that caring too much about tchotkes, as my father would have called them, is inherently silly.

Now, that said, I do own 5 cars --one for each of us, and my one toy --a 2002 Ford T Bird, which I drive on weekends. I paid about $30k for the car, and I've had it 5 years. It has less than 9000 miles. MY plan was to keep it 20 years, and see if it became a collectible. So far --no dice. I checked online the other day, and the car is worth less than $20k. So much for my financial acumen with collectibles.

There is one thing I do savor collecting: memories. I know the problem with that is that senility will be the Hurricane Andrew of those someday.

In the meantime, when the sun rises, I'm taking the T Bird out for a spin --about the same time my in laws come over today. I'll drive it around to do "errands" while they make their visit. Sometimes material possessions DO have real value!

No comments: