Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Tuesday Morning

The tree trimmer's here, dealing with a matter of grave concern: my loss of high definition satellite reception. Mike diagnosed the problem while we were attempting to watch the Canes lose to NC 2 Saturdays ago. As the ficus and oaks endemic to Pinecrest get taller, the sensitive high def signals can't get through, and you have the annoying pixillation.

So, Dave is here, and he's a pleasant fellow. He's in his late 30s and started the tree trimming business himself. He originally had an old truck and a ladder, and built up his company into one of the biggest in Miami. Along the way, he took botany classes at Miami Dade College, so he knows how to trim and prune, and not just slash. He's justly proud of his work.

I admire folks like him. He's the classic American success story. He's also self deprecating and humble, and I'd bet he's a millionaire, or, will be someday when he sells his business. Meanwhile, I should be good to go for Canes/FSU on Saturday, in high def.

In honor of Dave's hard work and enterprise, I think I just may goof off today. We have an annoying client coming in today at 1, who is going to be told about a windfall offer we received in her case, and will undoubtedly complain about it nevertheless. Since my partner's off tomorrow for a 3 day vacation, I think it's fair to let him deal with this malcontent, while I stay home and admire my increasingly clear view of the southern sky.

Chop on, Dave!

No comments: