Saturday, October 27, 2007

Rude Awakening

Well, I'm having a jackpot of a weekend. Daughter #1 arrived from Gainesville last night with her lovely sorority sister, and Daughter #2, wifey, and I shared a warm homecoming with healthy pizza (their choice, not mine).

This morning I woke up and went for fresh bagels, and enjoyed the company of my house of women. My in laws came around noon, and Daughter #1's friend laughed at how "cute" they were. As I told her, I thought they were "cute" for a few years, too.

The girls went shopping, my father in law went for his usual nap in one of the bedrooms, and my mother in law went upstairs with wifey to watch a movie.

Ah --college football on TV on a Saturday afternoon. Life is grand. I picked a boring Big 10 game (Michigan State/Iowa) and mimicked my Basset Hound in turning around 3 times before settling into the couch. Life was sweet.

I drifted into a nap, dreaming that I was the Canes quarterback, directing a Joe Montana-like drive in a packed Orange Bowl, the national championship on the line.

"DAAAAAAVID!!!!!!" "OY --VAS YOU SLEEPING?????!!!!" My mother in law came into the room and shrieked thusly. Her face was inches from mine. I jerked awake cartoon-like from the sheer impact and volume of her voice.

Fingernails on a blackboard. A whistling tea kettle. A train horn. A siren (the really bad European kind, not even American). All of these sounds are more pleasant and soothing than my mother in law's voice in waking me from my nap this afternoon.

Whatever. I guess no one with all of my blessings deserves a really good Saturday afternoon college football nap, right?

So I'm now wide awake. The offender, the disruptor of my afternoon reverie, has left. My girls are due back at 5, and I'm taking them all to Bayside for an evening sightseeing sail on the Heritage OF Miami. Daughter #1's friend has never been to Miami before, and she needs a proper tour.

Wifey's friend Elizabeth is coming this evening, so there'll be FIVE women and me (plus my 2 bitches).

Maybe I'll turn in early tonight while the lot of them are solving the world's problems.

No comments: