Wednesday, September 5, 2007

A New Case. Joy.

After a glorious drought where I wasn't bothered by new clients for awhile, my firm was hired yesterday by a very nice and concerned father whose 3 kids were burned in a natural gas explosion. A large Florida utility was hired to install new lines at a co op building, and they caused a leak, which led to an explosion, injuring 3 kids.

The mother chose to hire her own lawyer: Johnny Cochran. Johnny's been dead about 3 years, but his name's still on a firm here in town, which is composed of 4 or 5 white guys. Johnny, from the grave, still appears in their ads. I had thought the Bar didn't allow this stuff, but I guess they made an exception for Johnny's estate's new partners. I'm thinking of changing my firm name to "The Honest Abe Lincoln Law Firm." I figure that ought to appeal to a large demographic. Maybe I could have a division called "The Moshe Dayan/David Ben Gurion/Barbra Streisand Firm" that would advertise in all the Boca papers, so I could pick up some nice probate work...

Anyway, when my partner and I get a big case, there's really no one better than we are at aggressively prosecuting it. We're going to file a lawsuit forthwith (right away in regular language), and go after the utility that burned these kids. We'll handle our part so competently, it'd kill Johnny Cochran if he weren't already dead.

So, we're dry cleaning the old trial suits, and calling our team of pyrologists (fire mavens). As Gleason said..and away we go!

As for the dead Cochran, I learned yesterday that his "firm" has hired the son of Cesar Chavez ( a lawyer I know in California) to help advertise for Hispanics (specifically Mexicans) throughout the nation. Apparently he's getting a percentage of all the fees generated by the huge draw Cochran is expected to have among Blacks, and the son of the "Mexican MArtin Luther King" will have among Mexicans.

Gee --why do folks abhor lawyers so much?

No comments: