Sunday, September 30, 2007

Forgive Me Ed Perse

I just returned from a trip to Gainesville, and a visit to "The Swamp" to watch the Gators play. I've come to the difficult conclusion that the UF college football game experience is superior to my beloved UM Canes experience.

The night before the game, Gator signs were EVERYWHERE in town, and several huge parking lots were packed with RVs and cars packed with rabid fans tailgating THE DAY BEFORE! The hotels were as well, and packs of fans passed each other doing the Gator chop. The spirit was palpable.

Saturday, University Avenue was also packed with celebrating fans in and out of the bars and restaurants. Wherever you looked, there was a sea of orange and blue, and the minority of Auburn fans passed apprehensively, though safely.

My host and friend Pat and I made our way to the Swamp, and bribed our way upstairs, where we drank some beers and soaked up the scene. At 6 we made our way to the stadium.

Pat has a skybox in the North end zone. I've been in these things before, at the AAA and Dolphin Stadium, but they pale in comparison. Pat's box has its own bathroom, full bar, theatre seats, and was catered with a delicious array of ribs, shrimp, and paella (he shares the box with some well off Cuban businessmen from Miami). Most importantly, the box is pretty low in the stadium, so the view is unbelievable.

The stadium was packed, as it always is, and the fans chanted their well practiced cheers. The Gators lost on a last second field goal. My suite mates were angry and heartbroken. I grabbed another beer and some ribs.

I love my Canes and always will, but I cursed the fact that we never had an on campus stadium and the sort of spirit UF has. there are, truthfully, only about 30,000 diehard Canes fans. The rest are folks who showed up when the team was winning a bunch of championships, and took off when they began to lose.

True Gator fans are blessed to have a great experience, win or lose.

I eagerly await another trip to the Swamp next September, to watch my team take on the Gators. Maybe if I promise to lay low, Pat will invite me back to his luxury box.

No comments: