Sunday, September 16, 2007

My Favorite Sound

I've loved music my whole life, and still do. I enjoy all sorts of sounds, except atonal compositions, which grate on my ears. In fact, a few years ago, after I botched the date of front row tickets I bought for "Wicked," wifey and I bought some two-fers to that year's hot new musical "Light in the Piazza." That musical had a slightly non melodic score, and I had to leave at intermission in a sour mood.

Now past 46, though, I've come to realize my all time favorite sound. I listened to it last night at this very same keyboard. My in laws, mother, and sister and brother in law had left after a lovely family dinner, and wifey was up stairs puttering. She's a world class putterer, by the way, who is NEVER bored and always seems to have something to do.

Behind me, on the kitchen computer, daughters #1 and #2 were watching funny videos, and reading facebook profiles, and laughing heartily. #1's laugh, when deep, is oxygen depriving. #2's is a throaty giggle that's so adorable, it would be a huge seller if bottled.

The two of them laughed together for hours. It's not really my business what or whom they were laughing about, but they were together, and joyful.

The music of my daughters' laughter --that's my favorite sound in the entire world.

No comments: