Sunday, September 10, 2023

Sad News Tempering A Lovely Day

 So I drove up to Joe Robbie yesterday, alone, and in a great coincidence ended up entering the stadium right behind Norman. I recognized his white BMW, and confirmed it was him by seeing the license plate registration -- November birthday. I pulled in right alongside him, and then we waited out the rain -- his boy Benjamin and brother Martin -- 3 of the best men you can find.

I then wandered over to Jeannine's tailgate -- Mike was in LA with Chris and Loni and Amanda -- watching USC and then the Dolphins opener today. From there, it was up to the Club, where I met Barry and Josh, and Eric and family, featuring beautiful and charming grandson Brandon. Later -- at halftime -- Paul came up with his nephew Grant, and old friend Gil and his boy Michael. It was a terrific reunion -- and alcohol free!

This past week Allison was our Kato Kaelin -- staying since Tuesday to help Wifey declutter. And Al is my drinking buddy, so there was Happy Hour each evening. And after 4 nights -- I realized that I enjoy drinking, but am NOT a true alcoholic -- the thought of even a single vodka yesterday was off putting.

Luckily, the Canes won -- and so alcohol wasn't needed for a fun time. But I also ran into my old friend Peter, who shared some rough news.

Our mutual friend John was doing awful -- end stage Parkinson's -- unable to communicate and care for himself. John used to refer us cases -- we went to college together, with Peter, and then they went to Georgetown for law school. John is a terrific guy -- comes from some family money, and was able to practice law as a public interest guy -- lots of ACLU type stuff, despite a traditional Cuban Miami GOP upbringing.. I haven't spoken to him in a long while, and was saddened to hear this.

After the game, Barry and I decided to wait out the traffic, and talked for a solid hour -- mostly about how little we really knew about life in our 20s, now that our 60s are here. We thought we knew. We didn't know.

I left, and then called back Jeff -- and here came the tragic news. He has a younger cousin, just 40, who I know -- Noah. After Jeff and Lili got married, Noah, then 6 or so, was diagnosed with an aggressive leukemia. He got very aggressive treatment at UM -- Barry's colleague Stu was his doc -- and he was cured!

But the problem with aggressive treatment -- especially decades ago -- was that it often damaged a patient's heart, and Noah was left with a lot of cardiac issues. But still  -- he grew into a man -- went to college and married -- and became a  successful CPA in Broward. I would see him at Jeff's family functions -- such a terrific young man.

A few months ago, his heart problems became critical, and he was accepted into the Mayo Clinic's transplant program -- having to move to Minnesota to await a heart. His parents went with him, expecting to stay a whole year -- his young wife stayed in Broward to work.

Then good news -- a heart was available! They removed his, but then a rare complication arose -- they couldn't implant the donor heart, and left him on an artificial device awaiting another donor heart. His body deteriorated on ECMO, an artificial respiration, and he died.

The news shocked me, as I drove home on the Palmetto. His poor wife -- just early 30s, I believe -- and his poor parents. They're neighbors of Jonathan's parents in Aventura -- I'm sure the news will spread around the neighborhood. It's going to be a tragically sad Jewish High Holidays for this family.

40. Far, far, too damn young. When an older person dies, it's sad, but they've lived a full life, hopefully. But 40 -- hell -- that's barely real adulthood.

Wifey knows the family, too, and put things in perspective -- at least Noah DID survive his childhood scare and go on to live a life, albeit an abridged one. She's right -- but I can't get the image of his grieving family out of my mind.

It's of course a cliche, but the longer you live, the more sadness you see. But -- also the more exquisiteness. We have plans later this am to drive up to D1's part of town, and meet at Buena Vista Park, on the Bay -- to watch the grandkids play, and play with them. Maybe there'll be lunch afterwards.

Another Canes game comes early this week -- Thursday night -- and Mirta, my sister of another mister, is going with me. I probably WILL drink at that game -- Mirta can drive us home.

And I plan to savor the love and friendship of those dear to me. And then, Friday, we celebrate the Jewish New Year, with Joey's family. They're so warm and welcoming -- we will toast to a sweet new year.

And hope the Big Man continues to bless us -- all while I keep Noah's family in my thoughts.

No comments: