Monday, September 25, 2023

And So It's Yom Kippur. And What Have You Done?

 So doing my usual YK today -- watching some services online, not going out, thinking about stuff. We just returned from a weekend in Philly, and on the plane ride home, I reflected on how hard it is to rise above the silliness that is so much of life.

Allison is over helping to declutter, and supervise the installation of a new "closet system" she and Wifey ordered. The truth is, the builders of our house ran short of money at the end of the project, and our master closet had simple wire shelves -- like you might find in a starter condo. This new one has all kinds of shelves and compartments -- and is being custom built and installed. The work is being done today, which doesn't thrill me, but Allison explained if we missed this window, Wifey's stuff would stay piled up on a guest room bed into 2024, so I relented. I think the Big Man may forgive me.

We left and made it quickly to MIA. After breakfast at the Centurion, we started making our way to the gate, and ran into Paul. The trip was on. We travel infrequently, and I spoil us with First or Business Class tickets. Paul thinks it's a waste of money, and he travels far more frequently, so he sat in the back -- getting a huge kick out of this difference. But -- a friendly agent let him board with us at the beginning, so he was able to store his stuff in the overhead bin.

We taxied to Center City. Our rooms weren't ready so we walked to the Weitzman Jewish Museum. Josh was in the lobby -- watching over his family's luggage. We asked why he didn't simply check them, so he wasn't stuck waiting, and there was a reason that's still not clear to me. But he DID send the bags up to his room when it was ready, and then walked with us to the Weitzman Jewish Museum, where we had our first humorous event. 

The very nice docent took us on a tour. But she spoke comically softly. Wifey looked at me and we did all we could to keep from laughing -- we both thought of my late Mom Sunny, who would have said "Who the hell gave that woman a job where she speaks to groups of people?" We broke off from the group, and left for the Reading Market. Josh had joined his family.

We made it near to the Market, when Wifey faded -- so we ducked into a Hard Rock restaurant, lest we have a fainting Wifey. We got some apps and drinks, and then headed back to the hotel.

Second humorous thing: the desk woman was large and in charge with TUDE! It was 4:30, and I asked to check in. Nope -- room not ready. I was nice but firm -- we were hosting a party at 6, and I really needed the room. She said "Well yo FRIEND asked for a special line -- and the maid still cleaning it!" Luckily, a manager saw what was happening, and intervened, lest this escalate into a "Living Color" type of comedy skit -- tough inner city clerk and the entitled white man. He got us a room.

At 6, Barry's people met us, and we ate and drank. Donna joined a few hours later, and the crew was all there. We toasted under the beautiful dome, which had light shows of Fall leaves, and had a delightful time. We toasted Paul's upcoming birthday. We toasted Paul's late friend Frank -- part of a foursome at Paul's daughter's wedding -- where the 2 60s era buddies talked for hours with the 2 70s era buddies at Battery Park. Rest in peace, Frank.

Saturday am Paul, Wifey, and I met for breakfast -- Barry's crew decamped to a local brunch place. At 230, the nasty weather had lightened a bit, and we Ubered to The Link. Josh had scored us Club seats, which were great -- when the rain would beat down hard, we'd retreat inside. :Luckily, it was a lopsided Canes win over Temple, and we watched the second half inside anyway -- talking happily around a nice table under a big screen.

We Ubered home, and fetched Wifey, before leaving for a MidEast place Samantha had found, where we ate family style. Paul demanded I pay the check, and when I went to with my Amex, it was missing. Crap. But I thought -- I used it at the Hard Rock the day before, and sure enough, my call there confirmed they had it.

Wifey, Donna, and I ubered there, and sure enough, they had the Amex. I tipped the happy cashier $20 -- she had saved me a LOT of annoyance by keeping it for me. We then walked home through nasty, windy rain and cool temps. It's easy to forget how bleak the weather can be in the NE.

Yesterday am, I saw Paul for a goodbye coffee -- he was headed to LI for YK, and then saw Barry and his crew, too, before they left for their earlier flight.

Wifey and I boarded, and to my delight, saw that AA had Red Zone on their WiFi, and so I followed the historically great Dolphins game as we flew home. Sure enough, our approach took us over the stadium, and I took a shot out of the window. It was neat to be flying over while they played -- especially a game where the Fins scored 70.

Allison greeted us, and there was pizza ordered and martinis to drink as we compared weekends. I watched some Kol Nidre service from a DC Conservative shul, and then cleared out my side of the closet ahead of the workers coming today. As I type, the new closet is being installed.

So back to the holiday. So much of our time and mind is taken up with so much chisme and silliness. Things that are truly without importance or meaning become big deals. I had an encounter with one of our friends about whether news about a purchase was made "prematurely." Really?

So much sadness and misery comes our way. I really hope to make this a new year where I refuse to give significance to things that don't amount to a hill of beans.

When I am given the chance to celebrate -- I intend to do so fully, with all passion, and enthusiasm.

I plan to give far more than I get -- materially, and emotionally.

Hopefully the Big Man smiles upon this.  Years ago, Wifey's friend Rosie asked about this blog. She ended up unfriending me on FaceBook and basically canceling me -- for making fun of her ultra liberal ways. But the funny thing was -- she asked: "What's your blog called? Dave's Crappy Blog?" If the Big Man doesn't approve --  maybe next year's Crappy blog post will be missing. I sure hope not!

No comments: