Thursday, September 28, 2023

House Construction Upheaval And A Happy Surprise At The Urologist

 So Wifey badly wants to move, or at least get some kind of change, and I am STAUNCHLY opposed to leaving my oasis in Pinecrest. So we compromised: she gets to spend lots of money on stuff for the house. The latest is a custom closet.

I don't know -- our closet has worked fine for me over the past 22 years, but it IS a cheap, wire shelved, Home Depot job. So with our friend Allison, they picked out a custom closet that has been in the process of being installed this week. It cost about half my first year's salary as a lawyer.

Allison has been overseeing the work. After my side was done, on Monday, I checked. I was glad I did -- they were going to install doors over the many cubbies I got that replaced clothes racks. I didn't want doors covering anything -- I like to glance at my clothes without hindrance. Also, they were going to build a hamper -- and I wanted the space to store overnight bags. So it was good I took the time to see these things -- or I would have had to pay another $1K or so to have them removed.

I started putting back my clothes, and quickly realized I now had LESS space than I had before. But I'm told the new closet looks much nicer -- and that's what's important. Whatever. I need to just stay in my lane as the mule -- things work better that way.

Also, yesterday there was a handyman here doing I'm not sure what, and today a different handyman, Nestor, installing new outdoor lights. Alas -- he reported that several came with broken glass -- a hazard of ordering on Amazon. Allison told Wifey she needs to return then, as well as some outdoor fans that don't work. Wifey gave Allison a look I know well. "Yeah -- that's not gonna happen. The box will sit in the garage for months before I get around to going to UPS for the return, at which time too much time will have gone by and Amazon won't give the credit." Again -- the mule needs to just keep my mouth shut.

The sad truth is, as Wifey points out, I AM set in my ways and resist change of any type. I like stuff around here the way it is -- although I really would like if much of the clutter disappeared. As I age, I prefer neat and organized. Unfortunately Wifey has gone the opposite direction -- she nearly stopped talking to the Ds when they brought 5 bags of 1980s workout gear Wifey had accumulated to Goodwill.

But hey -- what are ya gonna do?

However, in the happy Department, I had a pleasant medical surprise this am. I went to see my urologist for my annual prostate exam. My urologist Bob could be a longshoreman -- he has huge, meaty fingers, making me dread the required exam.

But instead of Bob, his lithe Colombiana PA was there -- with the small fingers of an angel -- making the exam far less traumatic. 

For that I was most grateful.

And the copay was just $165. I will gladly pay more if the PA sees me yearly instead of Dr. Bob.

We must grab happy experiences wherever we can.

No comments: