Tuesday, May 10, 2022

You're GOOD -- Yes You Are!!!!

 So several weeks ago, I developed a nagging pain in my right hip. Not debilitating, but probably pain of 6 out of 10 when I moved certain ways.

I couldn't trace it to a single event, though probably the jumping and movement I do with my trainer Juan triggered some or it. Plus, being overweight isn't helpful, nor is my family history of very bad hips.

My Mom had both of hers replaced, and my California sister was the recipient of one of the first artificial hips, implanted at Columbia Presbyterian in the early 50s. Both Ds have had issues -- D2 has something called "clicking hip" which is what it sounds like. Fortunately, our local ortho, Julio Robla, says none are surgical candidates.

My local gym has several PTs on location. They do "concierge PT," which means you pay directly -- no insurance taken. The PTs are well trained, and the thought is when you combine the PT with the expert training, it's a seamless way to get better.

My man Juan suggested I see Dr. Mike. And so I did -- he evaluated me carefully, and was confident my pain was NOT joint related, but rather muscular. Of course, he said, at nearly 61 there was some arthritis, but most of my issue could be helped with special strengthening exercises and stretching. And so he did -- moving my right leg in ways it hadn't moved since I was an undergrad.

Juan told me to skip the next workout session, and resume the following week, which was last week. Well -- today, the problem is essentially gone!

I saw Dr. Mike  this am and, since like me he's a fan of The Sopranos and mob movies, did my best DeNiro from "Analyze This," saying "Doc -- you're GOOD -- yes, yes you ARE!" He laughed, and appreciated the well earned compliment.

And I was happy to avoid the whole orthopod/insurance PT/anti inflammatory thing. I'm sure that'll come at some point, but for now I'm good to go with one PT session.

To "celebrate" my recovery, Juan had me do twisting exercises with a ball -- again moving me in ways that haven't happened in decades. Another trainer was working with a gorgeous client -- probably a woman in her 40s. I told Juan he had drawn the short straw by having me -- he ought to try to switch with Jonathan. Again -- more male based laughter.

I really DO need to lose weight. I probably lost 40 lbs during the early part of the pandemic -- I walked daily 10 miles and ate little out of anxiety that my family might be lost. Well, now that it seems the plague will spare us mortality and serious morbidity, I walk less and eat too much.

But at least I DO move more, and am getting more flexible and stronger. Fat but strong? Maybe that's not a great marketing slogan for a gym.

Meanwhile, my old gig as Leche Dave, the keeper of D1's frozen breast milk for distribution to appreciative Moms, is long ended. My new gig is Uber/Hotel for granddogs.

Betsy spent the day and Sunday night here, lest she be lonely while D2 and Jonathan were at the F1 race. Last night I met Jonathan at a great Italian place in South Miami -- Wifey met us, too - and we had a fine dinner before I gave back the pony-dog.

Tomorrow, after a late lunch with my S Fla visiting sister and brother in law, we go fetch Madeleine, the spoiled Spaniel, for 2 nights -- D1 and Joey's house is getting tented for termites. Friday I have to get Betsy again, as her parents are going to a luxe Miami Beach hotel, courtesy of Jonathan't company.

So we'll have a hotel for FOUR dogs.

Good thing I have the flexibility to herd them all.

No comments: