Thursday, May 19, 2022

Not Judging The Conspicuous Spenders

 So earlier this week I was chatting with someone without much money, and she was telling me about some reality show where crazy rich Asians, I think, spend absurdly high amounts of money on parties, possessions, houses, etc... I think she expected me to join her in the disgust about these lifestyle choices. I kept mum.

And then I remembered how I used to share those populist sentiments, and how my dear friend Eric called me on them. It involves cars.

It was 1984 or '85, and the car my parents had given me in high school was wrecked by a red light running woman in North Miami. Actually, it was '84, because Wifey was living on NE 135th Street, having moved to get away from me in Kendall, on account of her wishing a different relationship than the one I was perfectly happy to have. But that's a different story.

Anyway, the Firebird was wrecked, and the insurance company gave me a rental -- a Dodge Omni. It was the most basic car you could buy at the time -- Chrysler's attempt to compete with Toyota on cheap, small cars, and I loved it. It was boxy and therefore roomy for a small vehicle, the AC blew cold, and it even had a decent stereo. I drove it for the 3 weeks my car was in the shop.

One night, Eric and I went out, and I proclaimed that a car like the Omni was all anyone ever needed -- good, basic transportation. Eric was more into cars, and he disagreed -- hoping someday to have something far snazzier than his 10 year old Celica. Not me, I proclaimed -- no matter what - -I was an Omni type guy.

Well -- fast forward to 1994 -- a mere decade later. Paul and I had started the firm, and I was driving a Mitsubishi Diamante, a sort of fake luxury car. I still recall the monthly lease price: $199. Paul correctly decided that we, as new guys seeking clients, had an image we needed to project, and Mitsubishi wasn't that image. He already had a big, black Benz.

So I went out and leased a Jaguar -- I had gone from populist to James Bond, in my mind. I drove it by Eric's house, and he took it for a spin -- it performed well -- and we tooled along the Palmetto.

When we got back to his house, as he was appreciating the fine walnut dash, he turned to me and said "Wow -- it's amazing how Dodge upgraded to Omni." I was busted.

The lesson came home again earlier today, when I got a call from Al, our appliance guy. Wifey wanted new appliances -- we needed a new refrigerator -- and the one for our kitchen is a large built in. We ordered it last Fall, and it took until today to come it -- Al was calling for payment, and to set up installation tomorrow.

With tax, the fridge cost just over $10K. We replaced it previously, and it was about $6K, but they've gone up a lot. Somehow, 4 figures for a single appliance made an impact.

Many of our friends have even more expensive appliances -- one friend has a $30K fridge. But for me, paying the bill via my credit card reminded me that this thing was more than 1/3 of my first salary as a lawyer -- back in 1987.

I guess in many ways, you can never take the working class Long Island out of this Miami boy.

As for the car thing -- I returned to my more humble ways, sort of. I lease a stripped mid sized Lexus -- not the car to impress anyone. But it's comfortable and reliable -- a plusher version of the Omni, after all.

But as for those crazy rich reality TV folks -- hey -- party on! I'd much rather watch or hear about people pissing away money than I would hearing about them hurting each other.

I mean -- I don't think I'd ever pay six figures for a party where the kid has to decide what kind of pet to get -- but then again -- you never know.

No comments: