Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Playoff Fever

 So both the Heat and Panthers are hosting late round playoff series -- the Panthers advancing out of the opening round for the first time since 1996, and the Heat trying to make the Finals for the seventh time.

Wifey and I watched the roundballers last night, even though the game didn't begin until 8:40 -- often about the time I'm getting ready for bed. It was a close game for awhile, as the supposedly tired Celtics played great, but the Heat, as they often do this season, put the game away in the third quarter.

The Panthers, alas, apparently collapsed in the final quarter and lost to, as Dave Barry says, the Canadians from Tampa. Also, the Marlins were at home, and beat the Senators, um, Nationals, badly.

It's cool to live in a city with the Four Major pro teams. When I moved here, the only team was the Dolphins. I was privileged to see the very first Heat game, first Panther game, and first Marlins game. The Heat and Panthers played at the Miami Arena, long since demolished. The Marlins played at Joe Robbie, the football stadium before it got a roof and was re-named Hard Rock.

And it's funny -- I can afford to attend any of the matches I wish, but would rather watch on TV. Except for the Hurricanes -- those games, with their exquisite tailgate parties, are must attend for me.

I guess there'll be a time when those become TV, too. I well recall my friend and mentor Ed, like me a double Cane, and huge supporter of the program. Back in the day it was allowed, he'd host the freshmen who didn't travel to away games at his house. I got to meet Bernie Kosar, Daniel Stubbs, and other future stars.

Ed loved hosting tailgates in the East end parking lot. And then, one year, when he was, I think, about 62, he told me he was watching a big game at home. It may have even been Notre Dame. I was shocked -- how could one NOT attend the holy ground of the Orange Bowl for a game like that. But now I get it -- the hassle of parking, schlepping to seats, dealing with crowds -- this stuff becomes more and more daunting as I age.

Wifey and I use that word more and more: daunting. Things that were second nature now require focus.

Just the other day, we left for D1's, and as I got on the Palmetto, it began to pour down rain. I never cared about that -- and that day I felt I truly needed to focus and make our way through the storm. Ah, aging...

Speaking of which, we visited the ancient suegra yesterday. She's nearly totally incoherent, but still physically strong. After a half hour or so, I told Wifey I would wait outside -- she typically stays an hour. But she came with me, noting her mother really didn't even appreciate her presence.

We came home via Sunset -- to fetch Wifey's SUV at the PT office, a building I had visited MANY times. It was owned by Larry Forman, our go-to rehab expert. Larry sold it, and now the complex hosts many different offices.

I saw a Sports Grill, and we stopped there. I thought about ordering a healthy salad. Our dear friend Elizabeth always ate healthy and clean, and was meticulous about exercising. At 63, she had the body of someone 20 years younger. Still, she died in her sleep of a heart attack. 

I ordered and savored the patty melt.

It truly lifts a community's spirits when a team wins a championship. I remember standing in front of my Brickell building when the Heat's championship parades went by -- everyone was high fiving each other.

And each of the Canes 5 (should have been 6) rings put my friends and I in happy moods for the entire year following.

Hopefully it happens again. 

No comments: