Wednesday, May 11, 2022

The Travel Bug Only Bit One Of Us

 With rare exceptions, Wifey has been the engine behind our travel. When I was younger, I yearned to visit places, but as the years went by, and I had, like Johnny Cash, been everywhere, man, I was happy to stay close to home -- other than visits to the Ds when they lived in Gville and NYC, and the stray Canes away game trip.

And the pattern was the same: Wifey would plan a trip, like our 2 Med cruises, and I'd end up having a terrific time.

Well, as the plague seems in retreat, Wifey is Jonesing badly to travel again, and I'm the wet towel. I think our typical pattern will return.

As of now, we have tentative plans to visit our friends Kenny and Joelle at their gorgeous Maine lake house -- probably over Labor Day. AA has a non stop from MIA to Portland, so getting there should be easy.

After that, Joelle has found and suggested a French river tour -- and sent an itinerary for October. It includes the Rhone River, and basically consists of eating and drinking amazing food, and walking as much as you want through the vineyards. I must admit -- it's right in my wheelhouse. Hopefully we get it together, and that trip takes place.

Wifey has long wanted to go to China. I have less than zero desire -- the only place in Asia that holds any interest for me is Japan, and it's not on my list of must see places. And Africa? My friend Norman has said he never had any desire to go, and it turned out his was the trip of a lifetime -- he wants to go again.

For me -- eh. I'm not that into animals, other than dogs, and that seems to be the big draw to go there.

Wifey and I agree on Sedona -- that'll likely make the list. Dr. Eric and Dana have been several times, and have ready made itineraries.

I met three neighbors this am all of whom have big upcoming trips. Karen and Robert are leaving for Iceland this weekend -- a full week driving around, seeing herring and hobbits.

Ellen is headed to Colombia. I told her a must see in Cartegena is the Inquisition Museum -- a place I learned a lot about an event I had fully understood.

And Allison and her family are off to South Africa, where they honeymooned 25 years ago. This time they're taking their boy Jack, a rising Iowa sophomore.

I look forward to hearing about their journeys when they get back to Miami, but hearing about the trips stirred no desire in me to go.

Yes -- Wifey will have to push -- again.

No comments: