Tuesday, May 31, 2022

A Lovely Weekend

 So Sunday D1 and Joey and the Little Man came over. I offered to make Daddy pancakes, but would have done so with Publix mix. Ha. I might as well have offered D1 toxic sludge cakes -- she is a much healthier eater than to allow the mostly corn syrup successor to Aunt Jemima. We ended up bringing in sandwiches from Boulangerie.

It was a lovely visit -- the Little Man is joyful to us. He fed the fish and tortugas, and ran around playing. D1's childhood friend Nicole came by to drop off a basinet she had borrowed. Nicole and D1 met in Middle School and now they both have kids -- Nicole lives close by, in Palmetto Bay. Nicole's Mom and Wifey met when Wifey moved to Miami in 1972 --both daughters of Survivors. It's so sweet that the friendship has transcended generations.

Meanwhile, up in Canada, D2 and Jonathan had Covid drama -- Jonathan's mother tested positive after the big Canadian Bar Mitzvah. She's ok, but couldn't fly home from Canada with a positive test, and the other guests, including D2 and Jonathan, decided to fly home a day earlier, just in case. Fortunately they made it back Sunday night, and Jonathan got to stream the Heat game. Our team was kind enough to end the season at Game 7, so we could go back to getting to sleep earlier.

Yesterday, we took the enormous puppy to Deli Lane in South Miami, to return the dog and close out our Hotel for Dogs. My longtime waitress Carmen was there -- I hadn't seen her since Covid, and we enjoyed catching up. We got to hear all about the Canada trip, and Betsy reluctantly went home with her actual owners -- she prefers the big yard of our house, I think.

Edna had suggested I might enjoy a new Prime series, "The Offer." It tells the story of the making of "The Godfather," one of my all time favorite movies. I probably quote one of the three movies at least weekly, most often "This is the life we have chosen."

I did something for the first time: I blasted the entire available series -- 7 episodes. Wifey slept through 5 of them, and there are 3 more not out yet. 

It's fictionalized, but I checked: much of the stuff, involving Sinatra and the Mafia's opposition to the book and movie are indeed true, as was the drama with Paramount and Coppola and the producer Ruddy. I truly enjoyed it -- and texted Edna this am to thank her for the tip.

This am it was back to the gym, and Juan having me continue the fight against decrepitude and decay as I near my 61st birthday. 

And then I ordered InstaCart -- my weekly chore. When Wifey does it, somehow it becomes a long, drawn out process. I'm decisive and get it done quickly. Wifey is wise -- like the husband in days of old who purposely stuck the baby with a diaper pin, to buy himself freedom from changing diapers, Wifey gets me to take over many tasks that way. It's fine -- and Rolando is already on his way here, less than 45 minutes after my order.

Tomorrow it'll be back to the office, and then, Sunday, we're having a two week early Father's Day. D2 and Jonathan will be in Atlanta on actual FD, and so we moved it up.

That's ok. FD is at best a very poor relation to Mother's Day, as it should be. I requested we bring in bagels and lox, and it be late enough that my sons in law and I can have a few cocktails. That would be a perfect FD for me.

No comments: