Saturday, March 13, 2021

Back Inside One Year Later

 So yesterday marked the one year anniversary of my last inside restaurant visit. I wasn't planning to venture inside of a restaurant quite yet, even though Wifey and I are fully protected by the jabs. I figured I'd wait for closer to herd immunity. And then...

I drove Wifey to her doc for a blood draw, and we decided to stop for lunch. Bagel Emporium has outside tables, and we drove by -- packed. So I thought we'd try Deli Lane in South Miami, with lots of outdoor tables. 

On the way, we drove past the former Shula's, a former favorite. They lost the coach's name, and renovated, and we saw outside tables. Why not?

And then I peered inside. All the windows were open, and very few people were inside. Were we ready? We were -- we walked over to a corner of the bar, got the menus, and took the plunge: indoor dining!

They redecorated the place beautifully. I thought about getting a martini -- my usual - but it was earlier than 2 -- not ready for day drinking. Instead, I got some delicious lobster bisque and a Cobb salad -- Wifey got a half chicken with asparagus. It was delicious. The waitress, new since I was last there, was delightful. We had dipped our toes into a post Covid world.

Last night I had my usual Zoom cocktail party, and it was fun -- Barry, Josh, Donna, Eric, and Dana. We drank and talked until past 9.

Tonight we meet Joelle and Kenny for dinner in South Miami -- but at an outside table. Tomorrow we're having Cara and our neighbor Gloria over for lunch -- we're all fully vaccinated. I'll give them the choice of inside or outside -- the weather should be lovely.

So we're seeing the green shoots of a return to normal life. The few stragglers of our friends and their kids not yet jabbed have plans to join the RNA club. It appears that, by April, anyone wanting the vax can get it in Florida. Glory days.

What a year. I'm also seeing the economic effects. I called the hotel in Key West where I thought about my birthday -- the Pier House. Their CHEAPEST room in July is over $600 per night. During normal years, it's a $300 room. Pent up demand, and people still not ready to travel abroad, are the culprits.

I was offended by that. I love Key West, but don't wish to be ripped off. So maybe I'll just stick around Miami for the 6-oh. I can always get back to KW when the prices normalize.

All I know is, it's nice to have a full weekend. D1 and Joey and the grandson are on their way here for lunch -- just a quick visit before they bolt for a friends' barbecue.

We plan to savor the visit, and the whole weekend. Can the end of the plague be near?

No comments: