Saturday, March 6, 2021

The Handy Man Can

 Years ago, Kenny and Joelle referred us Nestor, a funny, chatty, very good handyman. Nestor can do it all -- plumbing, electrical, painting -- you name it. We used him on several projects -- he was never cheap, but always did a good job.

We hired him to fix up an office for D1. When she opened her practice, a local doctor, whose wife is now Miami Dade's Mayor, offered her an examining room -- not for a cheap price. Alas -- a sink had to be removed, and shelves installed. Nestor did a fine job -- that office served D1 well, until she realized she only needed a shared space, and could save the high monthly rental.

A few years ago, I had a small job -- reattaching some fencing to our coral rock wall. I told Nestor to come when he was free. No rush. He did, and it took him, with his high speed drill, about 5 minutes. He said "Oh -- just give me $50." I did, but was annoyed. In my mind, it was a $20 job -- I guess I was having a penurious time in my life. That was it -- no more Nestor!

Wifey found another handy man, and he was fine. And then, with the plague, projects stopped -- except a critical one where the AC broke. As I tried to remain loyal to Dr. Fauci -- I just didn't see the need to have anyone except critical people (the Ds and their men) inside the house.

Alas, Wifey and I are both jabbed. Two fawcetts were frozen. I called Nestor. He came over yesterday -- ran out and bought the parts. Fawcetts are surprisingly complex. But now they work fine.

Also, I have a waterfall in my pond. Before Covid, I had it fixed -- but the on/off switch is inside the pump box, and to access it I risk a broken ankle. Could Nestor move the switch outside -- maybe affix it to a nearby tree? He could -- came yesterday, but needed an electrical part to complete the job. He came by today and completed it. I now can turn on and off the waterfall like a good actress controls her tears.

And -- his price was very reasonable. I even gave him some extra bucks -- he's an Argentine and loves red wine -- I told him to buy a bottle on me.

Last night we had a record long Zoom cocktail hour. We honored Kenny -- he had literally saved a man's life -- a fellow collapsed at a park, and Kenny and his son and wife Joelle did CPR and used the AED unit -- the fellow is doing well.

Kenny signed off, and Barry and his boys signed on -- we drank and chatted until after 10:30. Wifey even went to sleep before I did -- I think a first since the pandemic.

Later we see the Little Man, and enormous puppy. A fine weekend awaits.

And I get some long missed waterfall time...

No comments: