Wednesday, March 3, 2021

The Morass of Obama Care

 Wifey has asked me to stop mentioning her age, and so I will, but I am VERY happy that come December she will be on Medicare. Ah -- then only one of us will have to deal with the high cost and absurdity that is ObamaCare.

My law firm has only two of us, and my partner is on Medicare plus a supplement, and so Wifey and I have to have our own plan. It's a Silver one, through Florida Blue, and this year the monthly premium is just over $2000.00.

Of course, for that enormous premium, we have low deductibles and co pays. Ha. As if! In network deductible is $8500 per person per year, and out of network is over $16,000.00.

Well -- we had a claim recently, and I assigned the family mule to process it. That mule is me. Bills have been pouring in, and, thankfully, Florida Blue has been very helpful. They assigned us a case manager named Jill, and she calls weekly and gives great advice. Rule number one, she said, do NOT pay any bill until Florida Blue vets it, and makes sure the provider gets the correct amount. Trying to get a refund from a doctor or hospital, she said, is tougher than removing your own appendix. Oh -- and far more painful.

It is funny to see how different hospital systems operate, though. Baptist sent a bill before the bed was cold. They are the richest health system in the Southeast. Jackson has yet to send a bill -- I actually called today to request one. I was told it "wasn't ready yet." Jackson is perpetually in financial peril.

It is truly easier when you're on Medicare and a Supplement. I remember handling claims processing for my mother -- between the government and the supplement she had through AARP -- essentially everything got paid.

The entire experience shows why you MUST have coverage, even if it only covers catastrophe. I know several people who had cancer or heart surgery without insurance. Their families lost essentially all of their assets except for their home.

The Ds know this. When D2 was switching jobs, I absolutely required not a single day go by without her covered. Thankfully, both Ds and sons in law have excellent coverage through their employers. Come December, I'll be the only one left with the porous Obama Care. And that's ok.

Given my age, the premium for me alone with be about $900 per month. The deductible will still be in the 4 figures. Big Man willing, I won't meet it. I never have.

Of course, ObamaCare is more affordable when you can get help paying for it. As a wise man I know always says -- it costs a lot of money to be well off...

In a related matter, I got a notice from the water company. They noticed a HUGE increase in the coming bill. I expected it, as we had the pool redone, and I figure it holds about 20K gallons. The notice said you can request a credit for emptying/refilling the pool once per year. Yay.

I called in, and learned the credit was only towards a sewer bill -- we have a septic tank. They ain't given me no free water. Harumph.

Another very wise man, Norman's Dad, famously says that a problem that can be solved with money is not a real problem. He is so correct -- particularly if one is blessed to have money. And so I'll pay the bills, and use the water. Hell -- D1 even turned us onto a new, expensive treat: Aloha Bars. They're vegan snack/protein bars that taste like Girl Scout Cookies. The things cost $2 apiece. I just ordered another two boxes -- call me a spendthrift.

Hopefully this is the last of ObamaCare claims. For Wifey at least -- we need to make it another 9 months.

No comments: