Tuesday, September 1, 2020

The Diversion of Sports

 I am a huge Canes fan -- have been since I was a freshman in 1979. So many of my precious life memories involve family and close friends at tailgate parties, or game watch parties, or away game trips to see our beloved orange and green.

The plague dimmed my passion, however. The fog of tensosity that sits over everything took away how much I care. I truly believe the ACC should cancel the season, as the Big 10 and Pac 12 have, but I guess the money loss was too much for them. So we instead have games starting in a few weeks, with only 13K fans allowed to attend. Yesterday I had my chance to request any games I desired. I took a pasadena -- I'll let them apply the money I paid to next year.

I root for the Marlins, especially since D1 is the team dietitian. They've been a great client, and I'm so proud of her. Plus, I was at the very first game they played, and always take in a few games per season -- until this one, of course -- no fans allowed.

And then there's the Heat. I was also at their first game, and followed them through their history, but in truth, I'm a front running fan. When the Heat win big, I follow them. When they lose, I ignore them.

My son in law Jonathan is the opposite -- he LOVES that team. He grew up watching them win rings -- one with D Wade and Shaq, and then another pair with the Big Three. When he and D2 lived in NYC, a big thrill for him was watching his boys play the Knicks and Nets. We watched a lot of the Big Three games together when they lived here -- it's really fun to watch with a true fan.

Well, this season, Jonathan said the team would be terrific. Of course, all games are being played in the Orlando bubble, but they count. And the Heat won their first playoff series since '16 -- swept the Pacers. And last night they opened the Eastern semi finals against the Bucks, who were favored.

And the Heat won! Wifey and I watched -- the star player the Heat acquired last year, Jimmy Butler, truly took over the game. Jonathan had told me he had that ability -- and I saw it last night. It was exciting.

The game was the first sporting event that actually excited me since the plague started. It was a nice feeling -- to be immersed in something for a few hours, and forget about all the negativity in the world these days.

A judge I know, Yvonne, is also a huge Heat fan. She posted that she NEEDED the Heat to win -- to give her that essential diversion. She got it last night.

So I'm invested again. They play tomorrow, and every two days. If they win this best of 7, they go to the Eastern Finals. That would be a huge accomplishment.

So go Heat! Nice to care about sports again.

No comments: