Saturday, September 26, 2020

Risk Versus Reward

 As we all navigate the plague times, it's interesting to note the variety of individual coping mechanisms people employ.

As Dr. Barry keeps reminding us, the most significant letter about the plague is "n," which stands for "novel," which means ain't nobody really know much about this virus. Still, scientific consensus is that the less contact with others the better, since we get infected from other humans.

Wifey and I have tried to stay pretty strict -- only going out when it's truly important -- to us, at least. Since March, I have been inside a retail store exactly ONE time -- a CVS in  order to buy a SunPass from the front register. I was also in a Firestone dealership for a total of three minutes when I dropped off and then paid for auto service for Wifey's SUV. That's it.

It has truly been no big deal for me. If I can never shop in person again in my lifetime, it'll be a minimal loss. When it comes to stuff, I prefer having it delivered. And the less stuff, other than food and health and computer supplies -- the better.

Wifey and I were talking about this the other day. Some of her friends savor their trips to Publix -- just to get out and see merchandise and other people. I know several people at medical high risk, due to age and diabetes, the witch's brew for predicting bad Covid outcomes, who nonetheless go out to shop in public regularly.

And that's fine -- their choice.

We have a friend in her mid 60s who was about to take a trip with 2 airplane legs -- and then a long car ride to a rural outpost. She's bright, and appreciates the risk -- but knows she'll go nuts if she can't take a vacation, and so off she'll go. Again -- fine. Her call.

As strict as I've been, I incur risk. I refuse to NOT see my Ds and their men and my grandson. To me, that's a risk with a critical reward, and so we get together at least weekly.

For others, as I keep telling my nephew of another brother Josh, who wants to come visit -- I'm not that pretty that you have to see me in person. Zoom and FaceTime are fine for now. It's the conversation and spending time together. The physical togetherness can surely wait.

The Day of Atonement is the day after tomorrow. I always use Yom Kippur as a day of reflection, of taking stock. This year there have been a few lessons.

First, one I learned years ago has come to fruition. A friend of a friend, Arthur, served 10 years in federal prison for dealing weed. After he got out, I had a long talk with him. He said that after a few months, he realized he COULD do the time without going crazy. Once he came to that self realization, the days just went by.

I think of his words now. My last day of normalcy was March 12. Over a half year of this corona sentence have elapsed. I CAN do the time. I WILL do the time.

The other lesson is so obvious it's a cliche: don't put stuff off. I've been hearing about people "thinking" about moving -- to be closer to family, or to get better jobs. That's folly. If the plague has taught anything, it's that people die -- suddenly. If you have a dream, or a desire -- freaking DO IT.

I'm fortunate. There is absolutely nowhere else I want to be. Got my Ds and their men and baby and dogs all within 30 minutes. Got all the stuff I love to do, when the virus is tamed, within my home County. I'm 20 minutes from MIA, an airport that can get me a flight to literally anywhere in the wide world. This is heaven for me. It's my happy place.

The other day I got a call from Diana, the de facto office manager from our old office, when we were roomies with her boss Mark. We reminisced about the old days. Diana lives with and cares for her 95 year old mother. Her brother just took a federal job in Texas, and Diana said her long term plans, after Mom passes, and brother retires, are to relocate up the coast to the Melbourne area. She prefers the pace there, and when she sells her Doral condo, will buy a virtual palace for the same price as her garden apartment in Miami Dade. I wished her well -- and shared exactly these thoughts. If nothing keeps you tied to a place -- pick the dream place for you.

Other than that, it's more keepin on, keepin' on. The Heat blew a lead last night, and has to win either tomorrow or Tuesday to make the Finals. But the Marlins are in the playoffs! They beat the Yankees to secure a spot. To see that young team make it is terrific.

But for me, the main sports event is tonight -- Canes host FSU. Canes are favored by 12. I don't know -- they have a way of disappointing when they're predicted to win big. I hope they overcome that tonight. But I'll be watching, and texting with my buddies. No tailgate, of course. Typically, we'd have arrived at the stadium by 4, and drank and ate until kickoff. Not to be this year...

I'm thinking this need to live strategically versus the virus is going to be around a long, long time. That's ok. We could be stuck in worse places...

No comments: