Monday, September 14, 2020

The Days of Awe Approach

Each Fall I joke that the Days of Awe approach -- referring to the Miami Hurricanes' season. Of course, the REAL Days of Awe are the Jewish High Holidays -- Rosh Hashanah, the New Year, and Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement.

RH comes first. It is this coming Friday and Saturday. It's worked out well for us, in that the Ds' husbands' families are hosting dinners Friday night, and we get the group Saturday. I plan to pour cocktails, and D1 is bringing food from a friend's catering company. It will be our grandson's first High Holidays. He will be present in his high chair...

The Canes started, too -- with a win over UAB on Thursday. They play again Saturday night, as do the Miami Heat, in the Eastern Finals. I expect the kids will be gone by then, though D2 and Jonathan may linger. I'll even agree to focus on the Heat if they stay late, though I'm a much bigger Canes fan. Gotta make exceptions for family.

The plague news gets better -- fewer new cases and deaths. Tonight we had a fun Zoom with Mike, Cara, Paul/Darriel, and Ronnie. Ronnis is a pistol -- lives in Deering Bay, and is an actual Broadway producer. We talked about shows -- her latest is "Diana," a musical about the dead princess, and the upcoming is a bio musical about Neil Diamond. Both sound formulaic and probably money makers. It's rare there is true originality anymore -- too much money at stake.

We went around the Zoom and each stated our favorite all time musical. Ronnie is still a teacher -- even decades after she retired. For Cara it was "Damn Yankees" -- she saw it when it first came out. Wifey chose "Camelot." Mike said "South Pacific." Paul P and I both said "Book of Mormon." It has Rogers and Hammerstein quality music and is absolutely hilarious.

It was, in short, a great virtual get together. It was a fine way to start the week.

Meanwhile, I walked over 11 miles in the 'hood. Humidity and heat? Ha! I laugh at them...

Everyone keeps saying they want 2020 to end, already. It's, as the Brits say, an annus horribilis. If you go Jewish New Year -- we only have a week left.

Norman invited me to his family shul's virtual service. Beth David is letting you sign on for $25 a sermon. I responded to Norman that I tried to Jew them down to $10 -- and they refused, but I bet I could get the deal erev RH. Norman loved it, but said I now need to fast TWO days for my iconoclasm. He's probably right.

I do plan to reflect, and take stock. To me, that's the true meaning of the changing of the year - Jewish or secular. Where are we going -- where have we been, as Joyce Carol Oates asked.

All I know is, I am MOST thankful for enduring these trying times as we have. I get so see those most sacred to me -- the Ds, their men, and our grandson. I get to see my dear friends on Zoom. I talk to other friends frequently during my frequent constitutionals. It's truly ok.

I pray for the lifting of the plague. I think it'll happen.

In the mean time -- soon adios to 5780, and hello 5781. I hope for a very, very good year.

No comments: