Wednesday, July 1, 2020

The Doldrums

So the second half of our Annus horribilis has officially begun. That's a Latin term having nothing to do with a sore tuchus -- it means horrible year.  I guess that's not really true -- just been a terrible nearly 4 months.

Last year ended on a highlight, and this year began that way, too. We were blessed with our first grandson, in December, and in January hosted D2 and Jonathan's lovely wedding. More than a few of the guests told me it was the best wedding they ever attended -- indeed it was magical -- setting, fun, spirit.  But then in March the plague was upon us, followed by racial civil unrest.

Indeed -- a very bad several months.  I fight against the anxiety with very long walks -- my friend Stuart says I'm just pacing, but outside. He's right. Saturday I noticed a tinge of pain where my right foot connects to my leg -- I self diagnosed a tendinitis.  I cut down on the walking, and yesterday completely stayed off the road - icing the joint. Today I walked 1.3 miles, and the tinge was there again, so I headed home. Tonight the joint feels normal again -- I hope tomorrow to be able to walk distances again. But I guess the lack of movement contributes to some pandemic ennui -- I miss the walks -- they clear my head as well as help my physical health.

Of course, we blame the GOP leadership here in Florida for our new spike in cases...but then what about California? They're having a record surge, too, despite doing everything correct. NYC seems to have gotten things under control, but sure enough, there is some flashing of new cases there, too. Worse, for my beloved ancestral home, the anti police rallies have caused a rash of crime and shootings reminiscent of the 80s.  Seems no one there likes or trusts the mayor. I really hope things don't return to the way they were when I moved in '79 -- when the movie "Escape From New York" didn't seem so far fetched.

So I guess there's not much to do except...stay home.  Wifey's BFF Edna and her man Marc got cabin fever and drove to the Naples, Fl Ritz.  They wanted us to meet them. I said no way. Edna said "I bet if YOUR close friends were going you would come," but I told her even if Bruce Springsteen invited me, I would politely decline. I just don't see taking the risk of being with many other people right now.

I've always tried to live my life with that basic analysis: upside benefit versus downside risk. And for me, the upside benefit of going away to a hotel now is FAR outweighed by the downside risk...Edna's conclusions notwithstanding.

The Zooms are truly my oases.  Monday Wifey's friend Diane joined us -- Jeff, Lili, Paul, Darriel, and Rob. Darriel and Diane really hit it off -- and Darriel asked Diane to meet her star granddaughter Marlowe -- an environmental journalism student at UF -- so see if Diane might introduce her to some of her past co workers at the US Attorney's Office. I still enjoy putting friends together -- especially when they can help each other's kids and grandkids.

Last night it was Jonathan's birthday, and the Ds and Joey and Wifey and I sang him happy birthday, and toasted on FaceTime (tm). I surprised him with a gift of some Johnnie Walker Blue -- and he loved it -- best alcohol anyone ever bought him.  Hopefully we'll all be together here Saturday, July 4 -- maybe even have the beautiful baby in our pool.

So we slog on. It's been record hot in Miami -- yesterday it hit 98. Typically Miami in the summer is in the low 90s, with high humidity -- but some Saharan dust is affecting the climate lately. When I go outside, the heat, rather dry, reminds me of June in Las Vegas.  The rains are due back next week.

So here's to hoping that the second half of 2020 is one of improvement.  It'd be great to get back to more of a normal life. If that's not in the cards, I'll just carry on -- and be thankful for, as the 70s soul song goes,  what I got.

No comments: