Saturday, February 22, 2020

Full Squad Rides Again

Years ago, my son in law Joey created a text group and email group called Full Squad, consisting of Wifey and me and our 2 Ds and their husbands. It made it easier when we traveled together to not have to type in each address to advise where the next meal was. I really, really like the appellation.

Yesterday there seemed no good reason to go to work, so I stayed home with the three dogs, while Wifey went to lunch and a movie with two different friends. Maureen never wants to go to restaurants, and Jodi couldn't make it to the movie, so Wifey got both of their company, separately. Wifey returned home, and we left for the Grove.

D2 was in her apartment, dutifully training her new puppy Betsy. A vet visit last week confirmed that indeed Betsy is destined to be Clifford-sized, and as we learned from experience with our 95 pound Lab Midnight, you really want to have a dog that size trained well. Betsy is getting it already -- various commands -- you can tell she is really smart. Wifey and I took her for a walk while D2 got ready for dinner.

Betsy was great -- thumping around like puppies do, happily sniffing all the many Grove dog signals. We walked to Panther coffee, where a humorously precious barista guy told me they ran out of their daily brew -- and he was NOT making more, since they close at 7. It was 6. He would make me a couple of Americanos. I told him how much I appreciated his barista benevolence. I wanted to say "OK, millennial."  We sat and had our coffee, and miffed at the guy's attitude, I let Betsy gnaw on the cafe chairs...

As we were getting ready to leave, Wifey's young decorator Karina happened by -- having bought some new glasses at Warby Parker. I went back in to face the jerky barista -- he graciously brewed me a $6 soy latte, and we sat with the young lady and caught up. It was nearing time to leave, and we walked her to her car, and headed back to D2 and Jonathan's.

Betsy clearly new we were going back, and wasn't having it. She plopped on her  back, and I had to drag her across South Bayshore Drive. She is, like all puppies, a work in progress...

Jonathan came home, and we left for Shorecrest -- the renovated Vagabond Motel, and the restaurant there, Gregory's Diner. All but Wifey had a few drinks, and we ate well, and toasted the new dog, and, moreso, the new grandson.

D1 regaled us with tales of her entitled, spoiled clients. I reminded her it was the target customer base she had chosen. She still gets shocked, though, at how entitled and spoiled they are...

We dropped off D2 and Jonathan, and Wifey and I made for home. We were glowing -- it was a delightful night with our wonderful Ds and their amazing men. I said a large thanks to the Big Man. Wifey thanked whatever secular humanist entity she deems more appropriate.

Today the weather has turned beautiful again, and we're off to see the ancient suegra at the Palace in the afternoon. We told D2 she could bring Betsy there, but D2 had visions of her happy large puppy taking down several of the 90 somethings there. We'll wait until the training progresses...

No comments: