Sunday, February 16, 2020

Here Comes The Rain Again

So a front seems stalled over Miami -- it's been raining since last night. Too bad for the tourists -- this is the biggest weekend in town -- much larger than the Super Bowl. The Boat and Yacht shows are going on, as is the Coconut Grove Arts Fair, and the Wynwood Art Fair, too. Hopefully the weather will improve by tomorrow...

All I know is, D2 had to get a special police pass yesterday to leave her apartment -- she's right in the middle of the Art Fair. She came by with her new pup -- named Betsy, after her wedding hotel. Betsy is adorable, and all puppy -- she wanted to frolic with our three older dogs -- and only had partial success. But Betsy already is showing her Retriever skills -- she kept bringing back a thrown ball to us. D2 really, really, digs her.

I keep thinking how we lucked out three weeks ago with the weather. Norman pointed out that the ceremony was held during one of the most beautiful nights of the past 5 years -- orange sunset light bathed us as we stood under the chuppah.

I fetched lunch for D2, Wifey and me at La Boulangerie, a local cafe owned by Venezuelans Jonathan knows. We ate while the dogs played. It was a lovely afternoon.

After D2 left, I reminded Wifey we had a party to attend: Mike invited some people over to stave off loneliness, as Loni is off in LA visiting their girl. Wifey took stock of the situation, and realized attending would mean she had to 1, shower, and 2, get dressed. On that lazy Saturday, she chose to do neither, so I went over myself.

Mike had bought that new Keurig cocktail machine, and I wanted to see it. It was like those days back in my childhood 1960s, when it was a big deal to see the first color TV...

I made myself a Moscow Mule, and it was quite good. But I am SO not a gadget guy -- I'll stick with my simple bartending skills. I can shake a workable martini...

Donna and Jack,and Jeff and Lili, and Chris were the only attendees, and by 9 most had left, leaving Mike, Chris, and I to watch the NBA Dunk contest -- which a young Heat player won. It was a most chill night...

The rain is here this am, and I have WDNA playing jazz on my new Sonos sound bar, as I drink coffee. We have a mother in law event at the Palace to attend later. I guess I'll have to forego my usual attendance at the outdoor gazebo, and my mother in law's incredibly loud voice can resonate throughout the main hall...

Tomorrow, very early, Wifey and I will head to D1's. Wifey will spend the day with our grandson, and I will SUV up the highway for D1's annual visit to Spring Training. I went two years ago -- D2 has meetings, and I wander around, watching the young players practice, and being reminded just how impossible baseball is to play at a high level.

Of course, I fantasize that a coach will say "Hey -- come over and help out at first base, will ya?" I haven't even put on a glove in over 10 years, but baseball IS my first love -- thanks to growing up on Long Island when the Miracle Mets happened...

It's rare I get to spend so much uninterrupted time with either of my Ds -- I used to savor trips to Gville when they were in college -- to truly get caught up on our lives. I'm hoping tomorrow will provide that.

And then -- two more trips north of the Miami- Broward line are in store. Tuesday night Wifey and I are seeing Willie Nelson, and Wednesday Kenny and I are driving up to Runway 84 for a mini reunion with three of our high school classmates.. Good to put some miles on the leased, girly Lexus...

But for now -- the coffee is good, and the jazz mellow. It's a nice, rainy, Sunday morning...

No comments: