Monday, January 13, 2020

I'm Going to Key West For a Few Days -- to Sort Myself Out...

Back in 1980, I was struggling as a pre-med student, and my freshman roommate Barry was worried about me. I was in clear danger of failing Organic Chemistry, for the reason that I had no business studying Organic Chemistry, and I had a big exam that would determined whether or not I passed the class.  I studied very hard, took the exam, which I still recall was about something called optical isomers -- molecules that sort of look alike but are different, depending on how the atoms are arranged, and I amazingly got an "A."

I walked back to our apartment in Building 22, and saw Barry's worried face, and he asked how I did. I replied "Well -- I think I'm going to Key West for a few weeks to sort myself out," and he took that to mean that I had indeed failed the test, and my life, from the perspective of us pre-meds who wanted ONLY to be accepted to medical school, was essentially now worthless.

He started offering words of support, and then I showed him the grade, and there started a pattern of our friendship that continues nearly 4 decades later: he STILL provides tremendous support and comfort, and we still "break balls," as the saying goes...

So yesterday was a tough day, which turned out fine, but not before a lot of tensosity as the result of a worried about health issue among one of my family. Of course, I involved Barry, even though it wasn't a pediatric issue, and he was absolutely correct, and comforting as usual. Thankfully, his Jets were nowhere NEAR the playoffs, so at least I didn't interrupt his viewing of that unlikely TV event.

And today, as D2 and I were discussing things, I told her that after her wedding, which is scheduled for a week from this coming Sunday, I might well go to Key West and become a colorful drunkard.

It's my fantasy of escape --from the never ending love and concern about my family. I imagine sitting on a bar stool, only worried about the next martini, and being able to stumble home, and then sitting at a manual typewriter and capturing the vapor of human experience...like Hemingway.

D2 and I negotiated this a bit, and I came up with a compromise -- maybe a few drinks now and then at the Taurus and Monty's -- two venerable Coconut Grove watering holes, filled with old time Grovites, as D2 loves to call them...

Nah. I'll settle for the couch tonight, and  no alcohol -- just watching Clemson and LSU play for the national championship.

But I DO still love Key West -- I can never go too often. Maybe I'll get Wifey, and a few friends, to take a long weekend there in March -- still a great month to be there. We'll drink at the Chart Room, and maybe take a sunset sail, and indeed, I will sort myself out...

No comments: