Sunday, January 19, 2020

Wedding Week

So tomorrow is the last week before D2's big, fat, Venezuelan wedding. Tomorrow is MLK Day, and she has off from work, but has her final meeting with Nechama, Rabbi Yossi's wife. The Chabadniks have started a great program -- required pre marital counseling before they will perform a wedding. It's designed to prevent divorce among we seculars -- to hopefully bring it closer to the negligible divorce rate among religious Jews. It's a bit burdensome, but I think D2 and Jonathan are getting a lot out of it...

Hopefully I'll meet D2 afterwards. Wifey should be at work -- as assistant nanny for a gorgeous one month baby boy and his mother, up in Shorecrest...

Yesterday we spent a glorious day -- classic late January Miami Saturday. Kenny and Joelle had us over for brunch -- with Maria, Joelle's Dad's widow, and two neighbors from down the street -- two delightful ladies who got married when the law said they could. We chatted and feasted, and then left for the UM campus for the Beaux Arts Festival -- something we go to nearly each year. I remember the first -- when I was a UM undergrad -- and now it's become quite an event on the beautiful UM campus.

After a walk, we got some festival food from a Greek place, and took it to the Law School where I knew we'd find a table and some chairs. Paul and Patricia joined us, and we talked about Joelle and Kenny's work against child abuse -- from legal and medical standpoints.

It turns out that if you're a rich abuser, you hire a lawyer who hires an "expert" who testifies that your victim's bones were broken spontaneously. It's pure nonsense, but Kenny started a group of Peds Radiologists who band together to debunk the junk science...and Joelle turns it into English.

Afterwards, we walked more through the grounds -- running into folks we've known for years -- comparing notes on who's a grandparent, and who wants to be...

Last night we stayed in, and Wifey played old movies. I made a proclamation -- I would NOT allow anyone to rain on our coming parade.

With many people coming to town, there WILL Be complaints -- the hotel is overpriced, the rooms are tiny, parking costs more than rent, etc...

D2 is employing the wisdom of her sister from 2.5 years ago: "Rule #1: DON'T BOTHER THE BRIDE."

I have added a corollary:  Don't bother the guy who is paying for this whole damn thing. I will enforce this rule by simply ignoring and negativity, or tensosity...

It's already started, somewhat. I was asked if one of the guests could invite HER friend and toddler to the cocktail party -- although I think a toddler maybe doesn't belong at a cocktail party -- my response was...whatever. Just don't let me trip over the kid as I make my way to the bar...

Everyone has their own agenda in life. But beginning tomorrow, the ONLY agenda is D2 and Jonathan -- and what THEY wish. I will enforce that rule vigorously...

The first event is Friday night -- Jonathan's parents are hosting a shabbat dinner at their house -- for family and some out of town guests.  They're very classy folks, and I know it'll be a lovely affair.

Saturday we check into the Betsy -- and I plan to walk across the street, to the Atlantic, and say hello to the spirits of my parents. I will let them know that their youngest grandchild is to be married, in sight of the ocean if weather permits, and I will thank my parents for the love and support they gave to their family.

Saturday night I'm hosting a cocktail party for out of town guests, and a few locals. The reason is that, three years ago, Wifey and I traveled to Philly, for a wedding of some friends' daughter. It was awful weather, and on Friday night, Wifey and I sat around the lobby of the hotel, sort of wondering what to do. 

I noticed the parents of the bride -- heading out with a group of the bride's friends -- to a whisky tour of Philly. I felt like the nerdy kid who doesn't get invited to a really cool party. The Mom said "Oh -- this is just for the young people!"

What about the 4 couples who had schlepped from Miami to freaking Philly in January? Nah -- not even a voucher for some drinks at the bar. Wifey and I walked to some crappy sports bar and ate -- I think the 76ers were on.

I vowed then that if I ever invited people to one of my Ds' weddings, and they stayed at a hotel, there WOULD be a party the night before. I mean -- ya gotta be a host, if you're a host...

And then Sunday is the big event. D2 and Jonathan extended the hours to 3 am...I'm not sure how many of we Boomers can stay up that late -- but we'll give it the old UM try...

Today Wifey and I are going to visit her mother. My suegra has already said no wedding attendance -- leaving the Palace at all is far too daunting for her. So we'll tell her about it, and maybe get her outside for some "good air," as her late husband used to call fresh air...

And then -- wedding week, here we are...

No comments: