Sunday, July 7, 2019

The F YOU Notary Strikes Again

I became a Florida Notary back in the mid 80s. My friend Sandy, who was Catholic, wanted to marry her long time boyfriend James, who we called Cricket, who was Protestant, and neither wanted the other's clergy. So they pressed me into service, and I presided over their lovely wedding at Villa Vizcaya.  The best part was the announcement in their hometown PA paper: it said that "The Reverend Dave" presided...

I've kept my notary current, and married another 10-15 couples over the years. Sometimes they've been secret ceremonies, like some friends who wanted to be married to file their taxes jointly before the end of the year, before having a BIG wedding months later. Sometimes they were bigger affairs. I performed the ceremonies at two weddings of folks I call my former nephew and niece -- the family is permanently estranged. The former niece is still married; the former nephew long divorced.

I've also been useful to friends applying for out of state medical licenses, friends' kids applying to become firefighters or cops -- you name it.

I always joke that being a notary is actually the most useful thing I do.

And I get to use it for great historical purpose: continually thumbing my finger into former Nazi eyes.

My in laws are Holocaust Survivors, and got lifelong pensions from the German government. Each year they had to send in certificates saying they were still alive. I LOVED being the notary for them -- it was my small way of saying F You to the Nazis, decades after they committed their atrocities against Wifey's family.

Germans being nothing if not efficient, years back they switched the notices to twice per year, rather than yearly. Of course that was because the Survivors grew elderly, and by checking more often, the government saved on payments to deceased pensioners.

Well -- my Suegra is still quite alive and if not kicking, at least pushing herself quite well in her wheelchair. And last week we got the bi annual question: are you still alive.

She is indeed, and the grandkids and greatkids of the war criminals have to keep paying. My notary stamp said my suegra is still here.

I actually hear Hativka, the Israeli anthem, in my head as I push down on the stamp. It may be silly, but it is meaningful.

The money isn't huge, but over the years it has added up. I expect the German government will soon switch to inquiries every THREE months. That's ok -- if they do, I'll keep my notary current.

My suegra lives in a luxury facility. We were there last night -- the place is kept beautifully -- everyone there eats well and is well cared for. We always bring my Suegra outside, to a lovely gazebo, so her still VERY loud voice doesn't disturb others.

Between her Social Security, the German Reparation payments, and now a Medicaid Supplement, Wifey and I need only come up with several hundred dollars a month to pay for her rent at the Palace. I joke that at those prices -- she can live as long as she wants.

If she needs to switch over to their nursing home, Medicaid will actually cover all expenses above her Social Security and German payments. But I hope, and have a strong feeling, that won't be the case. She is strong as ever. I predict she'll make 100.

If I'm right, there'll be many more F U notary stamps. Social justice over the generations...

No comments: