Friday, July 26, 2019

Pre Work Errands

I decided to come to the office today -- meeting Mirta for lunch. Mirta is the keeper of all of our computer files, from '94 through '08, and is bringing them to the office today, so we can use some of our preparation files as a template.

It's a very quiet time here. Stu is in NYC for the week, and young Vince is in and out. The new office has a nice vibe -- especially when it's so quiet. D2, a somewhat jaded New Yorker after living and working there for 4 years, says "Nobody really works in Miami." Seeing our office this week, you'd think she was correct.

But, alas, first there were errands. First stop was a specialty lab in Kendall -- a blood draw for a 4K Score test. In the quiver of prostate cancer screening tools, this is the latest arrow.  The test shows your genetic predisposition for having a rare, aggressive prostate cancer, if you get it, as opposed to the more common type that most men will die WITH, not from. The reason to do it is that if you are prone to the aggressive type, you monitor more closely. If you're lucky to not have it -- you needn't be as concerned.

So I went to the lab, which happened to be across the hall from the Miami office of my CPA Mark, and waited for the door to open. They took me right in, and an English challenged phlebotomist got right to business. She did an easy draw, and I asked her if my blood was green. She didn't get American humor references, and asked, in a little bit of horror, why it would possibly be green. I told her I always thought I was at least part Vulcan. I ended up explaining my attempt at blood draw humor, and just wished I kept my mouth shut.

Next stop: Coral Gables. My nephew of another brother Josh house and dog sat and picked us up and drove us to MIA last week. I tried to give him cash, and like his father, is unable to gracefully accept any gifts to him. So I got his online brokerage info, and went to the Gables office to deposit a gift instead. I told him to use his tech knowledge to buy the next Alphabet -- and grow the money 100 fold. We'll see...

And then I came to the office. The new receptionist, a non appearance challenged Venezuelan young woman, greeted me. It was very quiet -- anyone with any sense is out of town during the Miami dog days of summer.

I guess Justice gets to take its time this part of the year...

D1 and Joey are coming home from Orlando, where D1 spoke at Joey's company's convention. We saw a clip -- she was awesome. She makes us so proud. Joey suggested next year we come to Orlando to see her in person. It'll be a deal.

We have plans to meet them tonight at Michael's Genuine, a favorite spot in the Design District. I told D1 she was free to cancel if they were too tired from the road. It can be a meal time decision!

So hopefully I get a low 4 K Score. I'll find out in September, when I see Dr. Bob, or his new PA, for a followup. 

My friend Mike got his score, and he has to be careful. When I met Mike, we were concerned with law school tests, not medical ones. Ah, aging. But as Tony Soprano used to say, with a sigh -- yeah, but what are ya gonna do?

No comments: