Thursday, July 4, 2019

License to Chill

So our Nation's birthday is upon us, and Wifey and I are exercising one of the Rights not in the Bill of Rights, but ought to be: our license to chill. It's rather hot and yoooomid, as Wifey says, and so we are inside watching patriotic movies. "Destination Tokyo" is playing as I write...

We offered to go visit D1 and Joey, but D1 mercifully suggested that since we had a long drive tonight in the opposite direction, why didn't we pop up to Shorecrest tomorrow instead? That seems a better idea.

Wifey already had her chance to make fun of one of my peculiarities today. I am a stickler about the garbage and recycle pickups. Miami Dade Solid Waste celebrates Christmas, July 4, and MLK Day, and those are the only days without collection. However, recycling pick up is done by a private contractor, and so there WAS indeed recycle pick up today. Wifey finds it funny that I know all this in detail. She's right -- but I figure everyone is entitled to some OCD in their life...

Yesterday was my man Stu's 59th birthday, and I detoured on my way to the office to get him some gifts. First stop was Mega Liquors, now opened in Pinecrest, for huge bottles of Tito's and Maker's Mark. These are truly gifts for all of us, as I enjoy the occasional Tito's at work, after regular hours, of course. And, Dr. Barry is a visitor who likes his Maker's, and the supply was exhausted last time he visited.

The stop had another benefit -- parked outside was a gorgeous canary yellow '59 Corvette. The owner was in the French bakery next door, according to the Mega man. I photo'd the car and posted on FaceBook -- nice ride. I have no desire to own any extra vehicles, but like looking at them.

From there I headed to Hialeah, to fetch some deli sandwiches from newly reopened Stephen's, Stephen's is actually the first NY style deli to open in Florida -- in '54. Back then, Hialeah was the center of Florida's schmata trade, and there were 3 delis accommodating the locals. Stephen's remained -- outliving much more famous places like Wolfie's, Corky's, and Rascal House. A few years ago it was bought by Matt Kushner, a local restaurant owner who has Lokal, Kush, and Spillover -- all terrific. He spent a lot of time and money restoring Stephen's -- giving the famous meat slicer, Junior, a prominent place.

The renovation was superb -- I was back in the 50s. The waitress was a giggly, nice Hialeah girl who worked for Kushner in the Grove, and is now happy to be able to be very close to work.

I brought the sandwiches back to the office. And they were...ok. The rye bread was fine, the meat thick sliced, but not very tender. Lots of Lox, Bagel Emporium, and Mo's all have better sandwiches. Still -- I'll go again -- maybe even a pilgrimage with my boys. But I'll try to turkey or tuna.

Jeff and Lili will be here at 5:15 for the drive to Key Largo. Norman and Deb begged off -- Deb's a bit under the weather. So it'll just be two folks eligible to be elected President, and their two immigrant wives.  I've been to the Lucky Lobster twice and loved it both times -- Lili is a foodie -- she'll like it, too.

They have a guitar player/singer who does NOT do Jimmy Buffet. I think that's one of the reasons I dig the place. Buffet is fine, but his music is a cliche for Keys places. It's nice to patronize a maverick...

I posted on FaceBook that I am typically a wise ass -- taking few things seriously, especially, lately, politics. My friends who despise Trump are just as funny to me as those who support him. I'd never vote for the guy, but I 'd never vote for the likes of a Bernie Sanders, either.

But when it comes to patriotism, my feelings are heartfelt. I'm eternally grateful all 4 grandparents fled the Tsar controlled Eastern Europe, and came through Ellis Island to this country, in the very early 1900s.  I think we have the greatest nation on this earth -- greatest in history.

I love that my dear friends, and now family, come from all over. The two greatest blessings to my family are my son in law and future son in law -- born in Colombia and Venezuela. Their families' contributions to the US have been immeasurable.

The one shortcoming of the Lazy Lobster is no full bar, so I will be compelled to stick to a few Stellas. I plan to toast our great country tonight -- she's 243!

And I savor our license to chill...

No comments: