Wednesday, January 16, 2019

In My Mind I'm Going to Key West

The weather is beautiful, the Ds and their men are well, and in my mind I'm already in Key West. Luckily for me, my large carcass is driving there in six days.

I first visited the island in '84, accompanied by Wifey. I fell in love. Cynics said the place was "already over," since there was commercial development on Duval Street. I still  had a wonderful sense when there -- the lovely conch houses, Hemingway's House, the colorful bars with music spilling into the street.

Wifey and I checked into a guesthouse called Duval House. It had a private pool. We skinny dipped, as I recall -- we were 23 and 27, and it was allowed for that age person. We walked the streets, and rented bicycles -- drove to the ocean, and stared out at it.

One day, Wifey left her sunglasses in the room, and I went to fetch them. As I was locking up, a young fellow about my age greeted me with an enthusiastic hello. He asked when I had gotten to the island -- I said the day before. How about him? "Well, I'm supposed to leave today, but I COULD stay a few days longer," he said, smiling slyly at me. It hit me. He found me hot, and was willing to extend his, um, vacation for me.

"Well," "my girlfriend and I have been having a great time, and I'm sure you'll find plenty to do if you stay longer. See ya."  He looked disappointed. Ah, Key West...

I've been well over 50 times since then -- maybe closer to 100. I had several cases based there, and would often travel for business. I'd always stay a few days before or after the deposition or meeting.

Years ago, we took my sister and brother in law. It turned out that it was a Parrothead weekend -- the gathering of Jimmy Buffet fans. They walked the island in hilarious outfits -- but said Buffet never attended these things -- only sent his best.

Well, we were walking on Duval, and people started running towards Sloppy Joes. There was a stage set up next to the place,and sure enough, here was Buffet and his band giving a free concert. It was delightful -- everyone swayed and danced and sang along. An older guy on a Harley chatted with us -- he had just retired from PA and ridden to the end of the line. He offered my sister a ride. Wifey choked with laughter at the thought that her unapproachable looking sister in law was being picked up. My sister pointed to her husband -- nah, thanks for the ride, but I already have an old man. Key West.

I haven't been in a few years, and I've missed the place. Some folks love cruises, or Vegas, and go again and again. For me, it's KW.

A band from my high school days, it turns out, is still alive: Hot Tuna. They're two guys -- Jorma Kaunenen and Jack Cassady -- they play guitar blues. My friend John, the retired CIA agent, reported on FaceBook that he had seen them in D.C. last Fall. I checked -- the only South Florida stop was Key West.

So Wifey and I will head down Tuesday, check into the Pier House, have a few adult beverages in the Chart Room, my favorite bar, and then maybe dinner at Bagatelle. We'll see the show, and exercise our license to chill on Wednesday -- maybe a sunset sail Wednesday night. Thursday it'll be breakfast at Blue Heaven, and then back up the Overseas Highway.

I'm already excited, and it's only Wednesday.


No comments: