Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Adios 2018

I was talking with my brother Paul early on NYE, and he asked my thoughts about the year that was ending. Without hesitation, I answered that it was a pretty good year that ended badly, at least for my family, in the health department.

And for D1, it was really the worst month of her young life. She fully recovered from a serious, limited condition, then had a bad stomach issue, which also resolved, and she thought normalcy had returned. Not so fast. She came down with the same type of nasty upper respiratory bug I had, which for me was the worst ever. She'll recover, but the damn thing will keep her down a bit longer.

The NYE plan I came up with was two orders of stone crabs -- one for the older folks here, and one sent up to Shorecrest for a party for the Ds and their men and Joey's brother and sister in law. Well, early on NYE, D1 called -- she was just so sick, the thought of anyone over was a bad one.  So we had to scramble -- newly engaged D2 and Jonathan had to celebrate their first betrothed NYE in some way.

So Jonathan agreed to come here, and invited his friend Joey, who is getting married in Mexico at the end of the month -- but his fiancee was with her family in Mexico City. D2 and I trekked to Golden Rule, and found a mob scene -- but I had ordered ahead, and we watched as our 20 lbs of crab claws were carefully cracked. I needed to take out a mortgage to pay for the delicacies, but it was worth it -- the best we ever tasted, and even leftovers for Joey which Jonathan, now dubbed JonathanEATS, dropped off on his way back to Aventura.

The party turned out, well, great. I started drinking early, with D2 and Jonathan sampling some high level mezcal they had requested, while I poured myself martinis. I was inspired for some practical joking, and indeed called my rabbi friend Yossi with the young-uns there. I told him in a solemn voice that Jonathan had just told me one of his grandparents had converted. There was hesitation in Yossi's voice -- "really?"  We're not religious, but know Yossi can't marry a couple unless they're both, to the eyes of his very orthodox sect, legally Jewish. So I could tell poor Yossi was thinking he was going to have to let down his friend. Nah -- just kidding. He laughed. We all did. It set the tone for a night of laughter.

Barry and Donna, and Norman and Deb, and Mike and Loni all showed, and we toasted several times with some champagne.  The three young ones ate by themselves, but joined us for toasts. Later, Amanda and Ben, lifelong and since middle school friends of D2's, came over, following their dinner at Joe's. Miami loves NYE with stone crabs. We watched the Times Square ball drop. We feasted. It was a fine night.

I texted D1 and Joey "Happy '17!" The next am D1 questioned me. I explained it was the martinis -- '17 and '19 are both odd numbers -- I was close.

I fetched fresh bagels. Wifey came down, and D2 and Jonathan and I spent a most chill first day of the year -- though the young ones did take a nice bike ride, up to Wayside Market for lunch. I zealously guarded the couch, and napped to college football, before packing up the leftovers for Joey.

So, the Big Man gave us another year -- and I could have done without its final month. But even that is wrong of me -- D1 is stronger, for having endured her December horibilis, and will that much more appreciate the days to come.  More than two weeks out from my nasty bug, I'm finally without the nagging cough. It's a pleasure.

And I'm up absurdly early today, but for a reason: D2 and Jonathan have a 6:45 am flight back to the City. Dadber is back for D2, and he runs all hours, though he was down on Xmas eve when D2 arrived. Momber took over. This am, Momber sleeps in.

And the celebrations aren't over -- Wifey and I have a 32nd anniversary to  acknowledge, tomorrow. For us, that marks the true end of the holidays -- starting with TDay and D1's birthday, and running through January 3. I'm thinking low key this  year -- probably some take in, and maybe sitting on the porch in the cool evening air, reflecting on the life we have built together over the past three decades.

All I know is, we've been doing what we set out to do on January 3, 1987. We used to be the ones to host NYE, and we still are. I love to mark the milestones in life, and the turn of a new year seems as good as any.

So I say goodbye, '18. As for the health scares -- good riddance. I'm hoping for a big change in '19 for all of us...

No comments: