Sunday, January 20, 2019

A Lovely Weekend -- Cold is Coming

It was actually a productive work week, as I spent a good amount of time with Stu and Vince, strategizing on cases, and moving things along.

Friday, I called car-less Wifey, to see if she wanted to go out. She has been car-less since her latest fender bender, while fixed, left the bumper sensors out of whack. It's been a full week now, and neither the body shop nor the dealer can figure it out.

I fetched Wifey and we headed to Titanic. It was nicely crowded -- the students are back at UM. We shared a seafood board, and in honor of the coming cold wave, I had some soup.

Saturday I met Paul and Alex and the kids -- we chased them around the Falls, and later Greer Park. Alex noted that Pinecrest has so many great parks for kids -- any grandkids we're lucky to get will enjoy visiting here.

I came home as the floor polishing guys were finishing up. We have travertine floors, and you're supposed to have them cleaned and sealed every few years. Somehow, we haven't done it for a decade. Wifey had called our acquaintance Isaac, a floor guy, for a referral. He sent over Ivan, who gave us an estimate. Ivan has one arm.

Wifey was going to get another estimate, and I pulled her aside. Are we really NOT going to give the job to a one armed floor polisher? Wifey agreed, and Ivan and an assistant did a fine job. The dogs waited outside, still sitting on their usual couch, but this time with a clear view of birds and squirrels...

We got ready and headed to the Gables. Paul got a hankering for prime rib, and wanted to meet us at Christy's. You never have to ask me twice to go there, and as an added benefit, he and Patricia invited Allison. They fetched her at her temporary digs in Aventura -- she's moving to a townhouse in Cooper City next month.

The conversation was delightful -- we talked about crazy old times, and compared notes on our generations of kids -- Allison started late -- her twins are high school freshmen.

Before our party arrived, I toasted Wifey, and our time together. I told her I was glad we stayed together. She agreed.

D2 and Jonathan are in Mexico City, for  Jonathan's best friend's wedding today. D2 texted us photos of great looking food, and a cool Anthropology Museum. D1 and Joey are enjoying their weekend, too -- D1 got the great news that her biggest client had renewed her for another year.

Today a strange morning light was in the sky -- an burnt orange, as the sun rose. It was followed by rain showers, and now a cold front is here. Tonight will dip to the 40s.

Seasons change, and so do we.

Tonight Mike is hosting an AFC Championship Game watch. I think I'll have Wifey drop me off on the way to visit her mother. I can skip a week -- my suegra will still be there, I'm sure.

So it was a fine weekend -- still is. And we're ready for the cold.

No comments: