Thursday, September 27, 2018

Tragic News

So D1 and I were happily chatting on the phone last night -- she was waiting for her man Joey to return from playing soccer with his boys, when all of a sudden D1 gasped "Oh my God" and went silent. After a long pause, she said she just got news that Dr. Michael had killed himself.

I had the privilege of meeting him about 10 years ago when he did a minor procedure on D1 -- cyst removal. I had vetted him first, of course, and learned he was a LI guy like me, but finished high school at Phillips, and then, as I joked with him, couldn't get into Miami, so instead attended Harvard. And then Harvard Med School, and similar elite surgical training -- Cornell, I think.

He was so calm, and nice -- very atypical for a surgeon. After the procedure, D1 went back to college, and Dr. Michael FaceTimed with her, to make sure the healing went well. It did, as it typically did with his patients -- the man was a master. My old friend Vince was an anesthesiologist who worked with Dr. Michael, and reported that his patients rarely needed the ICU after surgery -- the man was so amazing.

D1 was friends with Dr. Michael's daughter, and was just with her at a wedding in Utah. The daughter is delightful -- she has a brother who is accomplished like she is.

Just two weeks ago, a friend of Wifey's asked me to recommend a surgeon -- I told her about Dr. Michael. She saw him and loved him, though he begged off doing her elective procedure since it would leave a big scar, and thought the friend would be better served by someone who focused more on the cosmetic aspect of things. Still, the friend loved him...

There are no more details. Maybe they'll come out; maybe they won't.

All I know is we lost a true healer -- a man who relieved suffering with his skill and training -- and comforted his patients with his delightful manner.

I typically avoid funerals for those I don't know well. Often people attend because they think it right to "make an appearance." Not me. But if there is a service for Dr. Michael, I will indeed attend. I want to pay respects to a truly great man here in town.

I wish peace for his children and the rest of his family.

Meanwhile, tonight we have a Thursday night Canes game. Dr/Captain Kenny is my date -- he knew Dr. Michael, too, as a colleague. He always found him affable and helpful.

Today is also my brother Paul's birthday. So we'll raise a few L'Chaims at the tailgate -- to celebrate a great man's birthday, and also, sadly, the too soon passing of another.

No comments: