Monday, September 24, 2018

The Football Times

Nice weekend in the 305. Friday night Wifey and I went to Joelle and Ken's, and had a cocktail. Well, except for Wifey, as she was the DD. Then we drove to Mandolin, a fine Greek place in Midtown.

Mandolin was a regular stop for us when my Mom and then father in law lived at Miami Jewish Home -- it's just a few blocks down 2nd Avenue. But we hadn't been in awhile -- it was delicious. The fans and misters were going, and we enjoyed a delightful meal and company in the garden there.

Saturday, Mirta came early, and we left for Joe Robbie. The Canes were playing FIU at 3:30, and Mike and Norman's groups parked, finally, next to each other, which made for a great combined tailgate.  The game was uneventful, as expected -- Miami far outmatches FIU, but we got to see a lot of our new star quarterback, N'Kosi Perry. Norman was so impressed, he decided to change his name to N' orman. I love that...

Mirta and I picked up some Canton, and came home and ate it with Wifey. We caught up about Mirta's boys and grandkids -- somehow Karen, a delightful little girl, is graduating high school soon. Mirta is an awesome grandma -- got Karen a car, and involved in her daily life. She's a lucky girl.

Sunday Wifey left to go back to Mandolin's 'hood -- this time to Soyka, to meet her friend Jeannette for a birthday lunch. I drove to the land of my people, Miami Beach, for a get together hosted by Alex and Danielle -- sort of for Paul's birthday, which is this Thursday.

They're renting a huge, warm house -- reminded me of Hyman Roth's place in II, so I liked it right away. We wanted to watch some Dolphins, but Alex has a TV but no cable. Luckily his bro in law Derek came to the rescue -- he got us on Apple TV, and we watched what turned out to be a great second half.

D1 and Joey came by, and later Wifey as well. We all had a lovely time, watching Enid and Roger play and swim.

This week Canes play Thursday night. Kenny is my date -- he's leaving Baptist early, and we'll drive up to Joe Robbie to tailgate.  We made Kenny an honorary Cane -- he attended the holy night -- January of '84 when we beat Nebraska for our first title. Kenny was in med school in Philly then. It's great having him in town.

Yes -- it's still hot as hell, but these are the best times to be here.

At the game, my friend Steve the cop sat with us -- Paul had some extra seats for him. We talked about our mutual friend John, who is happily moving to Ponte Vedra next month.  Steve asked if I ever considered moving.

Nah -- if I couldn't live in Miami, there'd be, for me, no point in living in Florida. A possible exception might be Key West -- if I ever decide to pursue my Hemingway fantasy. But there's too many things I love to do here -- like Canes, and Marlins, and restaurants, and, well, youth.

Steve agreed. He owns his house outright in Kendall, and never wants to leave either. His brother lives in Boca, and that's only an hour drive.

So as for this week -- another party coming in the lot. And toasting my brother's 68th. I met him when he was turning 38 -- and he seemed old to me then.  We really need to drink heavily at the party...

No comments: