Saturday, September 8, 2018

First Closing

So yesterday I was treated to one of those pleasures lucky parents of adult children get: D1 and Joey's first house closing.

It was held at the developer's office on 72 Ave, just North of Miller Road. I took the Spoiled Spaniel, who has been bunking here since D1 went to a wedding in Utah, but was needed for a therapy dog session this am. The Spaniel attracted the attention of the not appearance challenged receptionist -- she asked if she could have her. No -- D1 wouldn't have liked that.

Salome (her real name) came, from the developer, followed by Joey's cousin Isaac, who is the realtor, and finally Jose, the real estate attorney. Salome kept the papers in order, and all went smoothly.

The Spaniel snored loudly on the floor. She found the legal stuff boring.

At the end, Salome handed D1 and Joey the keys to their new house. I snapped a photo. It was grand. I told them this "starter house" cost 10 times what Wifey and I paid for our first place. Times have changed.


I remembered our first closing -- also in September, but the year was 1986. My Mom had given each of her three kids a $10K gift, and we used $8650 of that for our down payment. We were so thankful to her. We still are.

When we walked into our 1400 square foot, tree covered house on SW 125 Terrace, we felt like true grown ups. I was 25 and Wifey was 29. We have lived double those years since...

Unlike me, Joey is very handy. He really looks forward to DIY projects. I found them daunting. He installed two Nest thermostats for us in about 10 minutes. I wouldn't even have attempted the feat. I can tell he's way excited to have his first house -- DIY projects in a high rise, his current place, are limited.

Sunday night begins the Jewish New Year. We're invited to Joey's parents for Rosh Hashonah dinner. They live just a few blocks from D1 and Joey. The plan is for us to go early -- Wifey is very good at helping to pack and unpack.

I figure moving into a new house during the New Year period must be a good sign. New beginnings all around.

D1 and Joey laughed at the note they signed. It said the note would be paid off in 2048 -- 30 years into the future.  They know it's not likely they'll still be living in the house then. We've been in Villa Wifey 18 years -- by far the longest stretch in one place I've ever had.

Still, three decades have a way of flying by. It seems like a few years have passed since I took the Florida Bar. That was 32 years ago.

It's a blessing to mark the wonderful milestones -- and first house together is surely one of those. I thanked the Big Man on the way home, and asked that D1 and Joey's home be one of good health, love, and dare I hope ??? -- children.

Let it be so...

No comments: