Sunday, September 9, 2018

Home Opener

A lovely Saturday...Paul and Alex stopped by with Roger and Enid, and Wifey and I got some future grandparent practice, with those gorgeous and active kids. It reminded us we'd better get in better shape if we're going to be involved grandparents of young kids...we welcome the challenge.

The Canes had their home opener, and both my legal (Wifey) and football (Mirta) wives were busy, so I headed up the Palmetto myself. My friend Steve the Cop wanted to go, and he met me there after his shift keeping MIA safe from terrorists and drunk tourists -- luckily many more of the latter.

Mike and Chris and Chris's lady were already in the Blue lot, and while Mike set up his frozen drink machine, I sampled some of the gluten free Stoli I brought. I couldn't taste the absence of gluten. Barry and his boys joined us -- Scott flew down for the Jewish New Year, and got to see 2 straight Canes games.

Then I ambled over to Norman and Maria's tailgate, where Maria was putting out her delicious kosher style pork sandwiches. I caught up with 2/3 of Norman's son brigade -- Michael is headed back to Israel this week. Old friend Jim was there with his young man Jake -- they were double dipping -- Canes Saturday, and Fins today.

After a few more Stoli shots, Steve and our mutual friend Darren, a former Cane, wanted to see Mike's set up, so we walked back over there. Darren knew Mike's sister from the days where Ed used to host freshman who didn't travel -- these days the NCAA doesn't allow that stuff.  Then we headed into the stadium.

The game, as expected, was a joke. The Canes won 77-0 -- their largest margin of victory ever, against a Savannah State team that would have lost to many local high school teams. Still -- we enjoyed watching our boys bounce back from their awful first game -- and we got to see the better, younger quarterbacks who will take over from our current mediocre one.

Steve and Darren left in the third quarter, to go to a rib place in Perrine owned by Darren's friend. They invited me, but ribs at 930 pm didn't seem like a good idea. Instead, I caught up with Scott -- he's thoroughly enjoying his senior year at Maryland.

An old man was in front -- asking about Eric, who used to sit near him in the Orange Bowl.  He was a nice enough fellow -- I figured he was about 70 -- and then he told us he graduated UM in '81, He was only two years older than I am!  Caramba. Scott and Josh assured us that Barry and I looked much younger. I didn't believe them...

I listened to the post game on the way home -- I flew -- took me less than half an hour. Canes games are such an important part of my happy leisure time -- being close is terrific for me.

Right after I pulled in, Wifey was behind me -- she had gone to a movie at the Tower Theater in Little Havana with her friend Maureen and some of her crew.

I turned on the TV and watched the Gators lose to Kentucky for the first time in 32 years. I really wish I could get over that schadenfreude -- both Ds attended UF -- a total of three degrees between them. But I still love watching them lose.

Speaking of schadenfreude -- Fredo -- the betraying lawyer, went to both UVA and UF. They BOTH lost yesterday. I enjoyed that immensely.

Of course, tonight starts Rosh Hashonah, the Jewish New Year, and a major theme of these days is forgiveness.  I forgive all other trespasses, but Fredo -- well, he's nothing to me -- not a brother, not a friend, as Michael said in II.

We have a dinner planned at Joey's parents' house -- near D1 and Joey's new house. So we'll stop there first, and then meet the awesome suegros.

Tomorrow I don't plan on attending services, but I will stay home. D2 and I discussed this earlier -- in 1987 Wifey and I were out with our friends Kathy and Ronnie. Ronnie is an Ecuadorean Jew, and he asked where we attended services. I told him we didn't, and in fact I worked on the High Holidays. Ronnie admonished me -- don't disrespect your own people, even if you don't go to services. His words resonated with me -- so I will stay away from the office. I may even drive over to Matheson Hammock and symbolically toss my sins into the water.

D2 will do the same -- no work tomorrow, but also skipping services.

Regardless -- I ask the Big Man for a healthy and sweet new year. I savor all of the days -- and hope there are plenty more to come...

No comments: