Saturday, August 18, 2018

Winding Down of Bachelerhood

So after a week in Atlanta, with a 3 day intra-vacation trip to Hilton Head, Wifey is headed home tonight.  Against very small odds, I survived being a single dude rather well...

It was a busy week at the office, dealing with the aftermath of Fredo's departure, and having to reach agreements with Saul. I call these two those names since John is a loser who betrayed us for money, and has now gone to work for our local version of the excellent "Breaking Bad" character Saul Goodman, a TV lawyer known as "Better Call Saul."  I keep saying I won't mention Fredo any longer, but the exquisiteness of his situation keeps popping up.

He ALWAYS made fun of and denigrated advertising lawyers.  One of his UF classmates is one of the most successful in the country in that arena: John Morgan, and Fredo would lament that he, too, could have become rich had he lowered himself to the level of cheap ads. And now, at 66, when any lawyer worth his salt should be , or at least be able to, consider retiring, Fredo has to become the errand boy for our local Better Call Saul. 

Later today, Fredo is due in to move out his furniture and files, and I'll be nowhere near the office. Stu was annoyed he had to give up a Saturday to oversee the move. Saul said "Well, stay home -- Fredo can do the move without you -- you can trust him." Stu retorted that Fredo stole two and tried to steal 3 cases -- he can't trust him as far as he could throw Fredo's bloated body.  Ok -- enough.

So Thursday night I planned to sit at the bar at Shula's and eat while watching Sports Center, my signature bachelor move, but Stuart instead invited me to try a new Asian place, Katsuya, that opened a half a block away.  We went, and the sushi was fine, and VERY expensive. The waiter brought a roll I ordered and flame torched the fish on top, to give it a charred flavor.  The place was packed, in the way of all new Miami restaurants, and Stu and I shared a gentlemen's dinner -- talking of our kids, and futures in the office.

And last night, fittingly, I met Mirta, my sister of another mister, at Titanic.  She has become a true biker chick -- she just returned from Sturgis, SD on a trip with her boyfriend Jay. It's a huge biker meet up near the Badlands, and this Cubana, who had never seen the American West, was blown away by the mountains and towns of those states. It was a fitting final evening for me...

This am I have plans to see my nephews of another brother, Scott and Josh. Scott's due to head back to Maryland for his senior college year. Talk about the flight of time! It truly seems like yesterday that we had a farewell breakfast at LOL to send him off.

The boys asked about bringing their parents, and I said to leave them at home, so they could skinny dip in the family pool while their sons were away. I may have painted an image to destroy their appetites this morning, but the French toast at Greenstreets should overcome any psychic damage I caused.

So the dogs and I welcome home Wifey tonight. It'll be fine to have her back in the 305. We leave in two weeks for Dallas, and the Canes kickoff classic at Jerry's World. Mike and I spoke about the trip last night -- the anticipation for it is building. The Days of Awe, Canes football, approach...


No comments: