Sunday, August 12, 2018

Take Me Out to the

So I dropped Wifey at MIA, she flew up to ATL, and I put on some home improvement show to nap to. I really dig those shows -- I do few, if any projects myself, but I like to watch dudes knocking down walls and installing plumbing. And then I drift off...

Eric called. Would I like to go to the Marlins game? I would. He also asked Barry, but he begged off, so I drove up US 1 to the surrounding area of the stadium and parked on a front lawn. I enjoy that -- it brings me back, in my mind, to the glorious days of the Orange Bowl...

We met outside of the Clevelander, where the party was in full swing. It was Dominican Night, and they gave away probably 15K cool Hawaiian shirts, that advertised the DR. We didn't wait in line.

But it was a party atmosphere there.  Probably 40% of the crowd were Mets' fans, the team of my childhood.  And there was dancing, everywhere, much of it by non appearance challenged women.

Marlins Park really is a very cool stadium -- colorful, and filled with art. The sight lines are excellent, and with the roof and side windows closed, it was lovely on a hot an humid night.

Our seats were terrific -- behind the Mets dugout, and we three chatted about our kids. Of the four, two are married, and the other two living with terrific mates. We talked about how lucky we were in that regard -- a toxic boyfriend or girlfriend, or worse, spouse, can ruin a family. I know from experience...

We thought we'd stay for most of the game, but it turned out to be a great one --3-3 and into extra innings.  We watched as Bryan Holoday hit a walk off double in the bottom of the 11th. It was a great celebration -- the Marlins are in last place, locked in a cellar battle with the Mets, but the dugout cleared and everyone swarmed the hero.

It was the most fun I've had at a game in a good long while. I plan to go back -- often.

And it's a lovely, quiet Sunday here. I went to my workout class -- I was the oldest by at least 20 years, and proudly, mostly kept up. I asked the trainer, Jonathan, if he watched the Sopranos. He hadn't. I told him about a scene where Tony comes upon the corpulent Bobby and Vito at a party, and says "Hey -- you guys look like gym ad -- "Before," and "WAY Before."  Jonathan loved it.

I'm seeing him tomorrow as well -- my main man, Enrique, is away in Italy, and made me promise to hit the gym 3 times per week in his absence. I cannot disappoint my guru...

After class, I used some of my new found energy to schlep tree branches to my neighbors' pile. I emailed them first asking permission -- our local Gladys Kravetz, Riva, sent everyone an email saying that using someone's trash pile without permission was equivalent to, I guess, terrorism.

Bob and Elizabeth laughed at it -- they told me to pile away. Bob's a Notre Dame alum and fan, and I couldn't help asking if he bought a Turnover Chain. He smirked -- but as a native, he likes the Canes, too.

So it's one...two,,,three strikes you're out, or, as they said last night, un, dos, tres...It was a ton of fun...

No comments: