Saturday, August 4, 2018

The Fake Single Life

It's nice being married, and in January for Wifey and me that'll be 32 years. But alone time is great, too, and Wifey and I are on the same page there -- we probably spend more time on our own than most couples without so called commuter marriages.

She's headed to Atlanta for a week in the coming days -- her BFF Edna misses her -- and I'm happy for her. It'll also give me the chance to have a bunch of evenings I enjoy -- playing the role of the Miami bachelor.

Last night was a preview -- sort of. Wifey was out doing errands, and I headed over to Sea Siam, despite the warnings and advice of D2. Sea Siam was closed a few weeks ago for insect stuff, and instead of posting a sign on the door about it, said they were "on vacation."  Well, they cleaned up the problem, apparently, and the DOH let them open again,  and I figure maybe some of the delicious Thai flavor comes from our six legged friends. So I went in.

They have two rooms -- the main dining area, and an old fashioned, go through a swinging door, bar. I sat at the bar, and ordered a martini. The young Asian bartender asked "Anyone else joining you?" and I replied -- "No -- just a lonely old guy." She gave a sad face, but I assured her I was solo and thrilled about it.

I drank my martini, and watched the ESPN on the TV, and ate my delicious curry and chicken.  I really enjoy that, from time to time -- just focusing on my thoughts, and the flavor of the food, and listening to the conversations of my fellow diners without having to participate.

There was a couple a few bar stools away -- pretty blonde lady, in her 40s, with a man. They were very affectionate, and then left for the restroom for quite awhile. They returned, the man left, and the woman ordered take out. A-ha! I immediately decided it was a tryst, and the poor cuckholded husband was waiting at home for his warm sushi.

Turned out I was dead wrong -- the staff knew her, and she was single -- the fellow was a new boyfriend. The take out was for her aging parents, who she lived with.  So much for my keen sense of human nature.

Wifey texted, asking my wherabouts, and I told her I was at Stir Crazy, our Village's one gentleman's club. She knew I was joking. I told her the truth, and she joined me.

I offered to buy her dinner, but she already had "peanut butter," so she was the ultimate cheap date.

Tonight we're going to a more traditional dinner on Brickell, with some old friends.  And I enjoy my dinners with Wifey.

But now in my 58th year, dinner alone at a restaurant bar, watching TV, and then going home to a quiet house and grateful dogs -- well, for me it's one of life's simple pleasures...

No comments: