Monday, July 9, 2018

Sun Man Day

So I begged off visiting my ancient suegra yesterday, although we did get some good news about her. After a months' long delay, Wifey finally had her phone interview with the necessary bureaucrat gatekeepers, and it appears that Rachel will be approved for Medicaid in the next 6 weeks. With that, she will receive a "Waiver" which will help pay the cost of her ALF.

Traditionally, Medicaid only paid for nursing homes, not ALFs, but they started a program where they help with the ALFs, hoping to keep patients out of the much more expensive nursing homes longer. For us, that means the state might pay about $1600 per month, which is $1600 less that we'll have to pay.  Since I'm the gatekeeper of family funds, that gladdens me...

Anyway, I told Wifey I was spending a day with my buddy Joel, whose wife and boys are off in Europe, along with our young lawyer friend Vince.

We drove to Joel's yacht club over on Bayshore Drive, in the Grove. It's lovely -- big tiki bar on the Bay, and we had a few adult beverages. A tall fellow approached, wearing sunglasses, and I started talking to him as if he were Jim, but instead it was fellow tall lawyer Mike, Norman's partner. We laughed -- I knew something was amiss when I asked about his kids in college at LSU and the fellow said he had only high school age kids.

We spent a lovely several hours at the Club -- talking with the boat set about what craft is best to take to Bimini.

It brought back memories of my old boss, Ed, who was a world class fisherman. Once he took me on an 8 hour ride from Miami to the eastern Bahamas. I wasn't a fan of the diesel fumes and rough ride, but once at Chubb Key we had a great time -- dolphin fishing, and eating that night what we had caught, along with copious amounts of vodka...

Joel wants his sons to become boaters, and was chatting with a dealer about the best boat for them. The dealer, a graduate of Maritime High School under the Throgs Neck Bridge in NYC, was then off to Abaco...

From the Club, we went back to Joel's house, and were joined by Joel's friend and client, who is suing the famous baseball player A-Rod, who used to be the client's brother in law. Hilarity ensued -- most politically very incorrect.

I adore the Ds and Wifey, but every once in awhile it's grand to have a day surrounded only by Y chromosomes. And yesterday fit that bill...

No comments: